Things to Remember: Transfer

Next Steps after you have sent back your acceptance…

Create Your NetID and activate your UIS email:

All enrolled students at UIS must claim their Campus Network ID (NetID). When the NetID is claimed a UIS student email address and mailbox is created automatically. Student E-bills and other official information will be sent to your UIS student email address. Announcements regarding a wide variety of campus activities and events are also sent to your UIS email. You should plan to frequently check your student email box, as well as the UIS web site. Note that there is a link to “web mail” located under the “Quick Links” heading on the upper portion of the UIS Homepage which will allow you to easily access your student e-mail.

Your email address is your NetID followed by (i.e. For example, a student with a NetID of jsmit2 will have an email address of Students use their campus Network ID (NetID) and password to access their UIS email and other campus services. Your NetID (and email) remain active as long as you remain enrolled. (NetIDs also remain active between semesters and over the summer semester). For more information about your student email or NetID contact Information Technology Services at (217) 206-6000 or on their website. The Technology Support Center help desk is open from 8:30 a.m. until Midnight Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Saturday and from 1:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. on Sunday when classes are in session.

These are things you can “Get it Done” at Orientation

Advising and Registration

You should have met with an advisor prior to coming to Transfer Orientation, but if you have any last minute questions or check on other class options if sections are closed there will be advisors available to consult.  There may be a wait for some advisors due to the demand of certain majors or programs.  Transfer sessions in November and April are scheduled on the first day that registration is open to new students.  The Office of Records & Registration will have laptops and staff available so you can register for classes online.

Student Immunization Requirement:

Campus policy requires that all students born after January 1, 1957 who are attending classes on the UIS campus must provide proof of immunization prior to their first semester of attendance at UIS. In addition, students who are not U.S. citizens must have a tuberculin skin test given at the Campus Health Service or a Public Health Department Clinic no more than 60 days before they register for classes. Please note that students enrolled in “on-line” classes only are exempted from this policy.

Failure to provide proof of immunization by the deadline results in the assessment of a $35 immunization non-compliance fee, as well as a restriction being placed on course registration in future semesters. Detailed information regarding the immunization requirement and how to find records may be obtained by calling the Campus Health Service at (217) 206-6676 or on their website.

Student Insurance Requirement:

All students (except for students enrolled exclusively in on-line classes) who are registered for one credit hour or more of classes at UIS are automatically assessed the student insurance fee unless they have completed a waiver online and provided proof of private health insurance by uploading front and back copies of their insurance card before the posted semester deadline. Office hours for the Office of Human Resources/Student Insurance are 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. For more information call (217) 206-7020 or visit the website.


All students, as well as faculty and staff with a vehicle on the campus are required to purchase a campus parking decal. Parking maps, regulations, and the parking hang tag application may be found on the Parking Operations Office website. Parking hang tags must be purchased online and cannot be purchased at the Parking Operation’s Office. Students enrolling in the Spring Semester can go online and purchase your parking hang tag starting January 5.  Students enrolling in the Fall Semester will be able to go online and purchase your parking hang tag after August 1.   You will need the vehicle license plate number and the make, model, year and color of your vehicle(s) to complete the online hang tag application.  Once you have purchased your tag online you can go to the Parking Operation’s Office with a photo ID to pick up the hang tag.  The office is located on the lower level of the Public Affairs Center, PAC 119. The office is located on the lower level of the public Affairs Center, PAC 119, with business hours of 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., closed daily from 1-2 p.m .The Parking Operation’s Office provides extended business hours at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters.  Student parking decals must be displayed as instructed.

Student Accounts and Billing:

The University of Illinois does not issue paper statements of student billing. Once a month, the University of Illinois emails students and Authorized Payers, reminding them to view their student account for recent activity and to pay any amount due by the due date. The student account is available online for students and Authorized Payers to view and print, and includes all student account transactions such as: payments received, and charges and credits for tuition, fees, and housing.

Due date for spring semester is February 28th; summer semester is June 28th and fall semester is September 28th. For more information regarding student accounts, including payment options, visit our department website: or you can contact our office at (217) 206-6727.

ID Card (i-card) and University Identification Number (UIN):

The I-card is the official University of Illinois identification card. Cardholders use the I-card for library services, door access, dining, copying, printing, and a variety of other University services. All three University of Illinois campuses use the I-card. The University of Illinois requires all students, faculty, and staff to have an I-card. Obtain your ID card at the I-Card Center in PAC 108, on the lower level of the Public Affairs Center (phone 217-206-7718). You do need to bring photo identification (e.g. driver’s license, state or federal id, passport) with you to obtain your i-card. Additional information is available on the web.

Disability Services:

Students with a documented disability are eligible to receive support and services through the Office of Disability Services. Students may visit the office in HRB 80 to receive appropriate forms to complete, or forms may be downloaded. Students, who require alternative format for texts should notify the office as early as possible. For additional information please call 206-6666.