Future Orientation Dates
(for first-year, freshmen students enrolling at UIS in the Fall of 2017. Registration for Summer KickStart will go live early February 2017)
There are two parts to the mandatory first-year (freshmen) orientation experience. Students will attend one of the Part I: June/July Overnight Orientation sessions. August Launch Week: Reach for the Stars, is the second part of the mandatory Orientation program. Please make sure to note this on personal and family calendars when planning work and vacation schedules. Please check back for more updates over the fall semester as athletics and
Part I: Summer KickStart. June/July Overnight, First-Year and Parent/Family Orientation Sessions (students will only need to choose one date)
- F1: Tuesday, June 13-Wednesday, June 14 (Open to 40 Traditional and 20 CAP Honors students)
- F2: Friday, June 16-Saturday, June 17 (Open to 40 Traditional and 20 CAP Honors students)
- F3: Monday, June 19-Tuesday, June 20 (Open to 40 Traditional and 20 CAP Honors students)
- F4: Thursday, June 22-Friday, June 23 (Open to 40 Traditional and 20 CAP Honors students)
- F5: Monday, July 17-Tuesday, July 18 (Open to 20 Traditional and 20 STARS students)
- F7: Monday, August 21 – Tuesday, August 22 ** This session is reserved for students admitted/accepted after July 1, out-of-state, and international students. They will be given priority for this session. Registration for this date will open July 15, 2017.
Part II: August Launch Week: Reach for the Stars (Orientation Week for all new First-Year, Freshmen), August 23-August 26
Wednesday, August 23
- 8 a.m. – 3 p.m. First Year Move-in to on-campus housing
- 3:30 – 5:30 p.m. New Student and Family Convocation, (FREE), Sangamon Auditorium Public Affairs Center (PAC) (Mandatory for all students)
- 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Welcome BBQ (FREE)
- 6:30 – 6:55 p.m. Launch Week Check-in and Hugs ‘n Kisses Goodbye
- 7 – 7:45 p.m. Orientation Group Meetings (Mandatory for all students)
- 7 – 8 p.m. Prairie Star Family Association Reception for Parents
- 8 – 9 p.m. Prairie Star Connections (replacing PlayFair)
- 9:30 p.m. Residence Life Floor Meetings (Mandatory for students living in Lincoln and Founders Residence Halls)
Thursday, August 24
9:45 a.m. – 5 p.m. Mandatory programming;
Friday, August 25
9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. Mandatory programming;
Saturday, August 26
9:45 a.m. – 2 p.m. Mandatory programming;
Monday, August 28
First Day of Classes
Orientation for new Transfer and Graduate Students is not mandatory, but highly encouraged. The program is designed to provide students with an opportunity to “Take Care of Business” while campus offices are open. Registration for Transfer and Graduate Orientation sessions will be available in February.
Summer 2017 Transfer/Graduate New Student Orientation for Summer and Fall 2017 Admits
(for New Transfer/Graduate Students Admitted for Summer and Fall 2017) *This is the only session for student admitted to the Summer 2017 semester
- T/G 1: Thursday, June 1, 4 – 7:15 p.m.
Fall 2017 Transfer/Graduate New Student Orientation
(for New Transfer/Graduate Students Admitted for Summer 2017)
- TG 2: Wednesday, July 19, 4 – 7:15 p.m.
- TG 3: Friday, August 18, 4 – 7:15 p.m.
Transfer SOAR (Sophomore Orientation, Advising, and Registration.
A NEW Program for Transfer Sophomores (transferring in 31-59 credit hours).
- Sunday, June 11 – Monday, June 12.
Would you like a more traditional, overnight Orientation experience that will give you opportunities to meet with other Transfer sophomores like you? Participants will have opportunities to meet with current students who transferred to UIS, receive one-on-one advising with your academic advisor, and attend sessions to get your acclimated to the University and prepared for success at UIS! More information will be available February 2, 2017. There will be a fee for this session to cover costs of staying overnight in the summer conference hall and meals.
Spring 2018 Orientation Schedule
(for students admitted to UIS for the Spring Semester of 2017 registration for these orientation sessions will be live on October 7, 2016 )
- Tuesday, January 9, 4 – 7:15 p.m.: Transfer and Graduate Student Orientation
- Transfer and Graduate Students who are moving into UIS’s on-campus residence halls, townhomes, or apartments can get their keys from the Department of Residence Life beginning… information will be updated soon – please keep checking back. If students miss this time they can go to the Department of Residence Life from … information will be updated soon – please keep checking back.
- Wednesday, January 10- Thursday January 11: Spring KickStart (Freshmen Orientation, Part I); Spring Launch: Thursday, January 11, Friday, January 12, Saturday, January 13, and Monday, January 15 (Freshmen Orientation, Part II). Both KickStart and Launch are mandatory for all First-Year [Freshmen] students. There is a $175 Orientation Fee that all first-years pay to cover some of the costs related to both orientation programs.
- Friday, January 12: Inclement Weather reschedule for Transfer/Graduate program if the original date is cancelled due to inclement weather
- Saturday, January 13: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Inclement Weather reschedule for KickStart-First-Year Orientation if the original dates is cancelled due to inclement weather.
This page was originally updated with 2017 dates on Monday, September 26, 2016
For more info contact:
- Office of New Student Orientation and Parent Relations
Phone: (217) 206-8181