UIS Home Page Search the UIS Website
UIS News Release

UIS grad student is named Elder Abuse Caseworker of the Year

August 7, 2007

Contact: Donna McCracken, 217/206-6716, dmccr1@uis.edu

SPRINGFIELD – Melissa Ross, a graduate student in the Human Services program at the University of Illinois at Springfield, has been named 2007 Elder Abuse Caseworker of the Year. The award was presented at the 21st Annual Elder Rights Conference, held in July in Lincolnshire.

Ross, from Springfield, has been employed as an elder abuse caseworker with Senior Services of Central Illinois for nearly two years. In that position she responds to intakes of alleged abuse cases and investigates the allegations.

At UIS, she is focusing her studies within HMS gerontology concentration. Gerontology is the multidisciplinary study of aging – the specific changes that occur in older individuals as well as the broader psychosocial, economic, and health issues confronting them.

Carolyn Peck, chair of Human Services-Gerontology at UIS, noted, "Melissa is a dedicated professional and student, equally motivated as an elder abuse case manager and in the classroom in striving for excellence. I could not be any more pleased that she has been recognized by her peers for the work that she does."

Said Ross, "I started working in nursing homes as a nurses' aide when I was in high school and saw first-hand the abuse that can occur; however, I became especially interested when a close family friend became a victim. After starting college and continuing to work in nursing homes, I decided to do my graduation project on abuse and neglect in these facilities and what causes the caregivers to commit such acts."

She continued, "While I'm happy to receive this award, I am only doing my job. I really care about this issue and hope to be a great advocate for seniors in central Illinois."

In conjunction with her award, Ross received a $1,500 scholarship to attend the national Adult Protective Services Conference this fall in San Antonio, Texas.

For details about the human services program and the gerontology concentration at UIS, go to www.uis.edu/humanservices/Index.htm.

empty

The University of Illinois at Springfield, one of three U of I campuses, is a small, public liberal arts university that offers 42 degree programs: 21 bachelorís, 20 masterís, and the Doctorate of Public Administration. UIS has a special mission in public affairs and service and is known for extraordinary internships, a wireless campus, extensive online offerings, and a commitment to teaching.

UIS: Creating a Brilliant Future

Share

Digg Digg
Facebook Facebook
Newsvine Newsvine

empty

Related Links

Human Services-Geronotology at UIS

Senior Services of Central Illinois

empty

Search News Releases
2007 and After:
2006 and Before:

Browse past indexes:
2004
2003
2002
2001
2000

empty

SSU/UIS Campus News Archives, 1973-2002
(pdf files)

empty