Ask HR Header


Retirement and taxesI am retiring or leaving the university, and I have vacation and/or compensable sick leave balances which will be paid to me in my separation payout. Is there any way to defer paying taxes on the payout?


The university permits employees to defer vacation and compensable sick leave payouts to their 403(b) or 457(b) plans. If you are interested in making a deferral upon separation from the University, contact your UIS Benefits Office: Deanna Boyer, 206-7144, at least 60 days prior to your last day of employment to submit an election form.

March 2011

Human Resources

Benefits contact:

Deanna Boyer

Read more about retirement & investment plans