Music, Technology, Culture Resources
The following inexpensive music technology resources provide an innovative and engaging experience for general education music appreciation students.
- Audacity, Free
- RiffWorks T4, Free
- Jokosher 0.11, Free
- More Free Audio Editors are available from the Free Software Directory
- Music Creator 5, $34.99
- PowerTracks, $49
Music Theory Resources
- Music Theory Minute, Free
Students review basic principles such as intervals, voice motion, dissonance, chords and chord function, suspension, and modulation in concise, easy-to-follow one minute music theory lessons.
- Emusictheory, Free
- MIBAC Music Lessons, $93
Collections of World Music Instruments
- Northern Illinois University World Music Instrument Collection
- National Music Museum
Students explore extensive online documentation of instruments in the museum’s collection.
- Wesleyan University Virtual Instrument Collection
More Great Resources
- Phil Tulga’s Inventing Homemade Instruments with Math and Measurement
Students start thinking about the physics of music making and creating their own instruments.
- The Musical Intervals Tutor
We integrate video examples of music concepts into face-to-face and online lectures.