Operations and Supply Chain Management
This certificate is available on campus.
The purpose of this certificate is to train professionals and students in the knowledge and skills of contemporary operations and supply chain management. Participants will learn to design and manage operational processes and supply chain solutions that are efficient, flexible, and resilient in order to meet customer expectations consistently and reliably. The certificate is intended to appeal to professionals in all industries such as retail, health care, manufacturing, logistics, banking, and nonprofit organizations such as universities and government agencies.
Upon successful completion of this certificate program, a student will:
- Understand the essential role of operations and supply chain management in relation to productivity, quality and efficiency;
- Be able to use adequate qualitative and quantitative methods to make operational adjustments that will improve organizational performance;
- Understand the key factors that drive the performance of a supply chain;
- Be able to design a supply chain solution that integrates uncertainty, risk, lead times and economies of scale;
- Understand the Lean and Six Sigma methodologies; and
- Be able to apply lean principles and tools to enhance organizational performance.
Entrance and Course Requirements
Students who have already been admitted into a UIS graduate degree program will automatically be admitted to the certificate program upon receipt of the degree-seeking application and fee (with the certificate designated also), or a Change of Curriculum Form found at: http://www.uis.edu/registration/forms/.
Applicants not currently admitted into a UIS graduate degree program must provide the following:
- A graduate non-degree seeking application (with the certificate designated);
- Official undergraduate transcript(s) with degree documentation and any prerequisite documentation; and
- A 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA or better, or substantial experience and responsibility in a field related to the area of study, as documented by a current resume.
Candidates for the certificate will be expected to complete course requirements with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better
|Prerequisite Requirements 1|
|ACC 311||Administrative Uses of Accounting||4|
|ECO 315||Economics for Administration||4|
|or BUS 322||Principles of Operations Management|
|BUS 501||Business Perspectives 2||3|
|Total Prerequisite Hours||3-11|
|BUS 522||Production and Operations Management||3|
|BUS 528||Supply Chain and Logistics Management||3|
|BUS 529||Quality Systems and Lean Operations||3|
|Total Required Courses Hours||9|
Prerequisites may be completed previously or concurrently with starting certificate course work. Each prerequisite must be completed with a C- or better. Any prerequisite exceptions must have instructor approval.
MBA students only