All departments in the College of Business and Management require foundation knowledge in accounting, economics, mathematics, statistics, and the behavioral sciences.
If a student enters UIS without these foundation courses, they can be taken during the first and second semester concurrent with other coursework. However, foundation courses are prerequisites for most of the college and program core.
Students are encouraged to meet with their academic adviser in order to determine what courses they can enroll in while finishing their foundation coursework.
MGT Concentration students must earn at least a “C-” in each foundation course and a cumulative GPA of at least 2.00 across all foundation courses.
UIS courses that satisfy the foundation knowledge requirement include:
- ACC 211 Introduction to Financial Accounting and ACC 212 Introduction to Managerial Accounting
- ECO 201 Introduction to Microeconomics and ECO 202 Introduction to Macroeconomics OR ECO 315 Economics for Administration (Junior standing).
- ECO 213 Statistics for Business and Economics.
- MAT 113 Business Calculus OR other calculus OR finite math equivalent.
- Behavioral science course (psychology, sociology, etc.).
Coursework equivalent to the above will be accepted on approval by the adviser.