Liberal Studies graduates must earn a minimum of 120 semester hours of credit and must complete all General Education requirements. Students typically enter their first Liberal Studies course, LIS 301 Self-directed Learning, once they have earned 60 hours of credit. It is in this first course that they develop a plan for their major. LIS Degree Plans must include:
- 7 hours Liberal Studies core courses.
- 10 hours of ECCE requirements.
- 3 upper-division hours in each of the seven Boyer categories.
- At least 12 hours of additional course with the LIS prefix. These courses can be ECCE, Boyer category courses, or general electives..
Students must complete at least 3 classes covering at least 2 of the following ECCE categories:
- U.S Communities (3 hours) – courses should broaden a students’ knowledge about substantial, distinctive, and complex aspects of the history, society, politics, and culture of United States communities.
- Global Awareness (3 hours) – courses should help students understand and function in an increasingly interdependent and globalizing environment and to develop an appreciation of other cultural perspectives.
- Engagement Experience (3 hours) – courses provide structured opportunities for students to integrate knowledge, practice, and reflection in the context of engaged citizenship. Opportunities include Applied Studies Term, Credit for Prior Learning, service-learning courses, research projects, and study abroad.
In addition, students must also complete UNI 301 Speaker Series (one credit hour.)