Safe Zone Pledge
- What is Safe Zone?
- Register to Become a Member
- Session Handouts
- Why Safe Zone?
- Coordinating Committee
- UIS Safe Zone Pledge
UIS Safe Zone Pledge
Members sign this pledge and receive their sign after completing Fundamentals and two advanced sessions.
I, _________________________________, hereby give myself permission to be imperfect with regards to homophobia, heterosexism, and transphobia. It is acceptable if I do not know all of the answers or if at times my ignorance and misunderstandings become obvious. I have permission to ask questions that appear stupid. I have permission to struggle with the issues and be upfront and honest about my feelings. I am a product of this homophobic, heterosexist, and transphobic culture, and I am who I am. I don’t have to feel guilty about what I know or believe, but I do need to take responsibility for what I can do now.
- Display a UIS Safe Zone sign on my office or residence hall room door, backpack, clothing, and other personal space on campus.
- Continue to educate myself on LGBTQ concerns.
- Work to change my false and inaccurate beliefs or oppressive attitudes.
- Allow students to make their own decisions about their lives by offering resources and support.
- Support and affirm the faith and spiritual lives of LGBTQ people at UIS.
- Be supportive and accepting of sexual and gender diversity and committed to combating homophobia and transphobia.
- Be non-judgmental when discussing issues impacting LGBTQ individuals’ lives.
- Support the building of a safe, supportive and welcoming environment for LGBTQ people at UIS.
- Respect the ways in which LGBTQ people enrich and contribute to the campus community.
- Advocate for the right of students to grow, learn and develop in a healthy and supportive environment, free of prejudice, intolerance, bias, and discrimination.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality for those who seek support through the Safe Zone program.
Participate in other UIS Safe Zone continuing education sessions.
I grant permission to the LGBTQA Resource Office to post my name on the UIS Safe Zone online list and in campus ads.