Service-Learning courses are great ways to introduce new opportunities to students, faculty and the local community. These opportunities provide benefits to all parties involved by giving students a new avenue of learning, giving faculty a new way of teaching, and giving communities the support and assistance they need of a local university.
- Provides meaningful services to the community; helps meet unmet needs
- Increases student awareness of community issues, agencies and constituents
- Adds youth and enthusiasm to a service program/project
Short- and long-term solutions to pressing community needs. “It shifts from community as laboratory to community as classroom”
- Provides an opportunity for a community to shape students’values and to prepare students for community participation after college
- Builds community awareness of college programs and services, and gives community agencies access to university resources
- Exposes and teaches communities about emerging generations of students