Visa Information

Students arriving from outside the United States

Please do not remove any documents from the envelope given to you by the U.S. Consulate which issues your entry visa; the entire contents must be presented to the U.S. Immigration inspector at the port of entry. Once you have entered the U.S., immigration regulations require that you report to the school that issued the form I-20 that you used for entry. You must do so within 30 days.

Students transferring from another institution within the United States

F-1 Visa Students

  1. Please notify your previous school that you have been accepted for admission at UIS and provide the DSO there with a copy of your admission letter. Ask the DSO to transfer your SEVIS record to UIS, and request that the release date for your record be immediate. If you are currently on OPT, you will want to postpone the release date until you have completed your work, but the record must be transferred when you begin your new program.
  2. Report to the UIS Office of International Student Services within 15 days of the beginning of attendance at UIS for school transfer processing. Bring with you all your travel documents: passport, visa, form I-94, and transfer I-20.

J-1 Visa Students

  1. You must request permission from your current J-1 program sponsor, and in some instances, from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to transfer from one exchange visitor program to another; this transfer request must be completed before enrolling at UIS. Employment is not permitted at UIS until the transfer has been approved. Keep a photocopy for your records of all documents submitted to USCIS regarding your transfer request. If your previous school submits the application to USCIS on your behalf, request a letter from the school verifying that the application was sent.

Please send all transfer documents to USCIS by certified mail, return receipt requested. You may use our office address as your mailing address on your transfer application.