The Office of International Student Services serves the UIS community by assisting international students, faculty and staff in understanding and complying with US immigration laws and regulations. Specifically, ISS:
- Advises international students, their dependents, and University departments on compliance with U.S. immigration laws and regulations
- Recommends and approves immigration benefits
- Verifies, tracks, and submits student status notifications through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), as required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Advises on adjustment to U.S. society and American culture, academic concerns and community resources
- Processes forms I-20, travel signatures, employment, maintaining status, social security numbers, and other immigration related matters
- Conducts workshops and orientation sessions for international students and UIS departments
The Office of International Student Services fully supports and subscribes to the Code of Ethics of NAFSA: Association of International Educators and follows this code in all our Policies and practices.