The Office of International Student Services serves as a key resource to the UIS community by assisting international students and the faculty and staff of UIS in understanding and complying with US immigration laws. It also works to ensure that the university as a whole maintains compliance with all regulations governing its ability to enroll international students. Specifically, the OISS:
- Advises international students, their dependents, and University departments on compliance with U.S. immigration laws and regulations
- Recommends and approves immigration benefits
- Verifies, tracks, and submits visa status notifications through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), as required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Advises on adjustment to U.S. society and American culture, academic concerns and community resources
- Processes I-20s, travel signatures, employment, maintaining status, social security numbers, and other immigration related matters.
- Conducts workshops and orientation sessions for international students and UIS departments
The Office of International Student Services fully supports and subscribes to the Code of Ethics of NAFSA:Association of International Educators and follows this code in all our Policies and practices.