Meet Adriana Piatti-Crocker
- J.D. (Universidad Nacional de La Plata- Argentina)
- M.A. in Political Science (Northern Illinois University)
- Ph.D. in Political Science (Northern Illinois University)
- Born and raised in Argentina, traveled with my husband throughout the world for 7 years (Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Nigeria, South Africa, Belgium, Greece, Venezuela, etc.) and settled in Chicago in 1997.
- Apart from teaching and researching, I also like sports. I have run marathons and triathlons, but it is getting more difficult with age.
- I do not have a philosophy that is universal. I think each of us develops his/her own way of learning, and college, if anything, will teach you your own way to do it. But learning takes time, so be patient!
- Latin American feminism, gender quotas, Latin American Politics, Argentine politics
Major project underway:
- A co-edited book with Dr. Jason Pierceson called “Same-Sex Marriage in the Americas,” has been published (March 2010) and I have a contract with Peter Lang Publications for a second edited book entitled “Gender Quotas in Latin America: Innovation, Diffusion, and the End of A Wave?”
Advice to prospective students:
- Make sure that you come prepared for class, listen to your teachers, ask questions when you are having trouble understanding what is being taught, but always be polite and respectful towards your teachers and peers, manners can take you a long way.
Best thing about UIS:
- Small student/professor ratio in classrooms and the fact that students have a closer interaction with their instructor than in other bigger universities.