Meet Ranjan Karri
- B.S. (Math), Osmania University, Hyderabad, India
- M.B.A., Institute of Rural Management, Anand, India
- M.B.A., Cleveland State University, Cleveland, OH
- Ph.D., Strategic Management, Washington State University, Pullman, WA
- I believe that the principal task of an educator is to arouse students’ curiosity about the subject. The role of an educator is to create a challenging and exciting framework in the classroom that encourages “critical thinking”. Critical thinking in my view is reflective thinking that is focused on deciding what to believe or do. As an educator, my role is not to provide answers to some big unknowns, instead it is to emphasize on asking the right questions. Asking questions helps you gain clarity, judge credibility, analyze arguments and arrive at conclusions that guide action. My philosophical approach of creating an environment for students to ask the right questions implies that students are active participants in knowledge creation and knowledge sharing.
- Entrepreneurship, Strategic Management
Major project underway:
- Theory development in entrepreneurship and family business
Advice to prospective students:
- If you have a predominant focus on academics, UIS is the best option in Illinois.
Best thing about UIS:
- UIS feels like a small private university with an intense focus on student learning. All classes are taught by faculty instead of graduate students.