Centrally located on Interstates 55 and 72
Population: 116,250 (2010 Census)
1969 (as Sangamon State University)
Springfield campus of the University of Illinois (joined U of I system on July 1, 1995)
5,137 (fall 2011)
National Recognition: UIS is ranked 2nd among public Regional Universities in the Midwest Region in U.S. News & World Report’s “America’s Best Colleges 2013″. UIS was ranked 4th in the same category the previous three years – 2010, 2011, & 2012.
Kiplinger’s 2011-2012 “Best Values in Public Colleges” ranked UIS among the Top 100 in the nation. UIS and UIUC were the only two Illinois public universities ranked.
Top six enrolled undergraduate programs:
- Business Administration
- Computer Science
- Criminal Justice
- Graduate programs
Average Annual Estimated Total Cost:
(Fall 2011, undergraduate, per year, full-time, on-campus)
- Tuition: Illinois Resident – $8,670; non-resident – $17,820
- Fees: $2,314
- Housing: (residence hall, meal plan B) – $8,870
- Total Annual Cost ( includes tuition, fees, room and board,
books, supplies and parking) Illinois resident – $21,114; non-resident: $30,264
Online Courses and Degrees
- Dozens of online courses offered each semester to online and on-campus
- 8 undergraduate and 8 graduate degrees offered entirely online to students who have completed
general education requirements.
- Grants, loans, and student employment are available. Nearly 70
percent of UIS students receive some form of financial aid.
- Approximately 100 scholarships totaling $90,000
are available to continuing students each year. Application deadline: Feb. 1.
Real World Experience
Through the Applied Study Term, undergraduate students can be placed in internships relevant to their major, most of them paid.
- We are a member of the NCAA Division II and the Great Lakes Valley Conference.
- Men’s Sports: baseball, basketball, golf, soccer & tennis.
- Women’s Sports: basketball, soccer, golf, tennis, volleyball & softball.
- A wide range of
intramural sports and activities are offered
- Learn more.
More than 85 Clubs and Organizations