The construction of the new Exchange 2010 system has been completed and the migration of employee mailboxes from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 has begun. With this upgrade comes some exciting new features and functionality:
- Larger mailbox size (up to 2 GB from 250 MB)
- A new interface for Webmail with many additional features, more closely resembling the functionality of Outlook
- Tighter integration for Mac users (with the upgrade to Office 2011, Mac users will now use Outlook for their email client)
- An improved voice messaging system that notifies you when you have missed a call and transcribes voicemail messages into text
- The introduction of Outlook Anywhere, which allows Outlook 2007/2010 to be used outside the firewall without using the VPN
- Easier viewing of others’ availability when scheduling meetings
- Notification if an Out of Office message is on before a message is sent
Preparing for Migration
In preparation for a smooth transition to the upgrade, please clean up your inbox by deleting messages that are no longer needed, emptying the Sent Items and Deleted Items folders, and/or moving messages into Personal Folders or Archived Folders. Step-by-step instructions for cleaning up your inbox are available.
PC users must be running Outlook 2007 or 2010. Mac users must be running Outlook 2011.
Users will need to close out of their mailbox during the migration, which is estimated to last less than 30 minutes.
Training videos and printable documentation is available to assist users in the migration. Training (either one-on-one or for a group/department) is available by request. Please contact Kara McElwrath at email@example.com or 217/206-8237 to schedule a session.
- Setting Up Voicemail for the First Time / Resetting Your Pin [PDF, 344KB]
- Setting Automatic Replies (i.e. when you will be away from the office) [PDF, 327KB]
- Setting Voicemail Greetings [PDF, 289KB]
- Using Outlook Anywhere [PDF, 330KB]
- Call Answering Rules [PDF, 373KB]
- Forwarding Email to Another Account [PDF, 332KB]
- Inbox Settings [PDF, 795KB]
- Logging in to Another Email Account [PDF, 115KB]
- Voice Mail Options [PDF, 319KB]
- Setting Automatic Replies [2 min, 15 sec]
- Overview of Outlook Web App 2010 [2 min, 3 sec]
- Forwarding Your UIS Email to Another Email Account [1 min, 48 sec]
- Recording Voicemail Greetings [2 min, 8 sec]
- Unified Messaging Welcome Message [1 min, 25 sec]
- Voicemail Options [2 min, 33 sec]
- Inbox Setting [3 min, 53 sec]
- Call Answering Rules [4 min, 29 sec]
- Outlook Voice Access [1 min, 50 sec]
- Outlook Anywhere Setup [2 min, 45 sec]
- Outlook Anywhere Setup with Personal Account [2 min, 15 sec]
UIS email accounts set up on mobile devices should continue to work. You may need to delete your profile and recreate it. Step-by-step instructions will be available soon. If you experience any problems, please contact the Technology Support Center at 217/206-6000.
Student accounts will be upgraded in Phase 2, planned for the summer of 2011.