Information Technology Services is providing an iPad rental service to assist students in meeting the requirements of CHE 267, CHE 268, CHE 269, & CHE 271.
The cost is $95.00 per semester charged to your iCard Campus Cash account.
Rental iPads must be returned to ITS at the end of any semester. Students may keep the iPad during semester breaks by paying the rental fee for the next semester. The iPad Rental program will include vouchers for the following apps for no additional charge: Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint; ChemDraw; iSpartan; Notability; and Explain Everything.
iPads with Retina display will be available for rental for Fall 2014.
- iPad Options
- Terms of Agreement
- Fee Schedule
- Pick Up Procedure
- Getting Apps for Personally Owned iPads
All students enrolled in CHE 267, CHE 268, CHE 269, or CHE 271 are required to have an iPad. The iPad initiative offers many benefits to students, including cost savings of purchasing e-books vs textbooks. For example, the savings of purchasing the e-book and solutions manual over the textbook is $286. Additionally, students will be able to take advantage of immediate feedback through the interactive practice problems.
For anyone who does not already own an iPad, students may choose to participate in our Rental Program or may choose to purchase an iPad on their own.
The Rental Program is a cost-recovery program; no profit is made on the behalf of UIS, the Chemistry department, or ITS. ITS purchases the iPad for $380, and charges students $95/semester. After 4 semesters of enrollment and 4 payments of $95 totaling $380, students may choose to re-enroll in the iPad program, getting a newer model iPad, and continue the $95/semester fees.
However, students may find that purchasing an iPad through Apple is more cost effective than the Rental Program. For example, Apple often has special offers available to students. We encourage students to check out Apple’s education discounts to determine the best solution for them.
Students who already own an iPad or who are purchasing an iPad on their own will receive vouchers for the required apps; please see the Getting Apps for Personally Owned iPads section below.
Participating students agree to the following:
- The rental fee is non-refundable.
- I agree to use the iPad in a responsible manner and in accordance with University policies and procedures, including the University of Illinois Springfield’s IT Policies, in effect now and in the future. These policies can be located at: http://www.uis.edu/informationtechnologyservices/about/policies/
- This iPad should be used primarily for educational purposes. However, it is acceptable for me to use it for non‐educational purposes as long as the non‐educational purposes do not interfere with the educational purposes.
- Upon the delivery of the iPad into my care, I assume the responsibility and liability of the iPad. In addition, I agree to return this iPad if return is required due to non-enrollment.
- After 4 semesters of continuous enrollment, the ownership of the iPad is transferred to me. At that time, I may choose to re-enroll in the iPad program, getting a newer model iPad, and continue the $95/semester fees.
- During the term of this User Agreement, I am fully responsible for any theft of or physical damage to the iPad, and I may be held accountable for the replacement or repair of the iPad. I must take all appropriate steps to protect the iPad and data against loss or theft. If I lend the iPad to another person without prior permission, I will be held accountable and responsible for the replacement of the iPad and may be subject to the forfeiture of the iPad, at the sole discretion of the University of Illinois Springfield. Failure to report the loss of the iPad or failure to return the iPad will result in appropriate disciplinary action by the University of Illinois Springfield and a possible police investigation.
- I must report any damages to the iPad to ITS Client Services. ITS may charge me the actual cost of repairs or replacement up to $380. This amount will be added to my student account.
- Upon withdrawal or dismissal from the University of Illinois Springfield or upon any other notification to promptly return the issued iPad, I agree to promptly deliver the iPad to ITS Client Services or such other place designated by the University of Illinois Springfield. In the event that I do not return the iPad within stated time frames, the University of Illinois Springfield may, at its discretion, place a hold on my college records, and bill me for the full value of the iPad of $380. I also understand that an additional $25 may be charged to my bill if I do not return the issued power cord and accessories supplied with my iPad. See the Fee Schedule for specific charges.
- This iPad program may be terminated at the discretion of the University of Illinois Springfield.
- I agree that ITS may amend the terms of this User Agreement (to include cancellation) upon serving me a written Notice of Amendment. Such Notice of Amendment will be effective 10 days from the date of the mailing or delivery of the Notice of Amendment.
- I agree that this User Agreement and any amendments or supplements to it will be governed by the laws of the State of Illinois and the United States of America. I agree that no delay or failure to enforce any provision of this User Agreement will constitute a waiver or limitation of the University of Illinois Springfield’s rights to enforce the User Agreement.
Repairs - $50.00
All Accidental repairs covered under the User Agreement, a loaner iPad will be issued during the time it takes to repair the iPad. If an iPad is found not to be repairable the iPad will be replaced at the $150.00 charge of iPad replacements.
Lost iPad - $150.00
Lost iPads must be reported to ITS Client Services immediately. A loaner iPad will be issued during the time it takes to replace the iPad. After the 3rd replacement of equipment, a student will be charged the full replacement cost of $380.00.
Non‐Returned Accessories - $25.00
Late Return of Loaner iPad - $50.00
Failure to return the loaner iPad within the 10 days or agreed upon time period established by the University of Illinois Springfield.
After enrolling in CHE 267, CHE 268, CHE 269, or CHE 271, students will come to ITS Client Services located in the lower level of Brookens Library with their iCard. Students must bring their iCard with $95 available in Campus Cash in order to pick up their iPad. Students will sign the Rental Agreement, they will be charged the $95/semester fee from their iCard Campus Cash account, and will be given the iPad with accessories and vouchers for apps.
All students enrolled in CHE 267, CHE 268, CHE 269, or CHE 271 are required to have an iPad. For those students who already have an iPad or who choose to purchase one on their own, ITS will provide the following apps free of charge: Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint; ChemDraw; iSpartan; Notability; and Explain Everything. After enrolling in CHE 267, CHE 268, CHE 269, or CHE 271, students will come to ITS Client Services located in the lower level of Brookens Library with their iCard. Nothing will be charged to their iCard; the iCard is necessary only to verify enrollment. Students will then be given a voucher for the apps to install on their personally-owned iPads.