Desktop Refresh Program
Objectives: Ensure that faculty and staff have the most current technology available to fully participate in a technology-enabled work and learning environment, while making the replacement process seamless and cost-efficient.
- How often?
- Who is eligible?
- Configuration options
- ITS responsibilities
- College/department responsibilities
- Current models and configurations
- Repurposing DRP computers
How often: ITS will provide every full-time faculty and staff of CLAS, CBM, PAA, EHS, and participating administrative units with a desktop or laptop computer once every four years. The oldest computers will be refreshed in year 1 followed by the next oldest computers in year 2 and so on. ITS will attempt to refresh approximately the same number of computers each year.
Who is eligible: All full-time faculty and staff from participating units– one computer per position once every four years. Individual staff/faculty are required to turn over their existing DRP computer in order to receive a new one. Computer assignments are for four years – a new faculty or staff filling a vacated position will receive the existing computer. Retired faculty who continue to teach will keep their existing DRP computers.
Computer replacements occur twice a year, prior to fall and spring semesters (see the timeline below). When computers become eligible for replacement, the faculty and staff will be contacted via e-mail and directed to a Web form listing their options. The e-mail message notifying them of the impending replacement will contain a deadline for their reply. If they do not respond by that time, replacement will be deferred until the next phase.
Once the new computers are ready for delivery, ITS technology support staff will contact faculty and staff directly to set up a mutually-convenient time to deliver the new equipment. ITS staff will transfer data from the old computer to the new one.
- Desktop – Dell Optiplex
- Desktop – iMac
- Laptop – Dell Latitude
- Laptop – MacBook Pro
Each year, ITS will send the configuration options for the next replacement phase to deans and unit heads for review and approval. Configurations are carefully chosen to meet the current academic and business needs.
Ownership and inventory control: This program is a partnership between the college/department and ITS. Below is a list of responsibilities for each that we see as key components to successful implementation of the program:
- The computers will be the property of ITS.
- ITS is responsible for maintaining accurate inventory records in the University’s inventory system FABweb.
- ITS will provide maintenance during the PC life cycle.
- Assist ITS with the collection of inventory information and maintaining accurate records.
- Notify ITS of new positions created.
- Notify ITS when faculty/staff leave the college/department.
- Purchase of additional items such as: 2nd monitor, docking station for laptop, accidental damage insurance, etc.
- On an annual basis, each college/department will be given a listing of computers to verify the location and return to ITS for updating into FABweb.
Optiplex 9020 Minitower, Intel Core i5 Quad Core Processor
90% Efficient Power Supply
22 in Widescreen LCD Monitor with Sound Bar
1 Gigabit Radeon HD Video Card (Dual Monitor support)
500GB Solid State Hybrid Drive
2 Button Optical Mouse
iMac, 21.5-inch: 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.2 GHz
1920 x 1080 resolution
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
8GB (two 4GB) RAM
1TB Serial ATA Drive
Latitude E7440, Intel Core i7 Processor
Intel Integrated HD 4400 Graphics
500GB Hard Drive
15.6″ HD Anti-Glare LED/LCD
Built in Webcam
9-cell Batter (7-8 hours)
Mac Book Pro 13-inch
2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.6 GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
256GB Solid State Drive
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
Built-in battery (7 hours)
|Date||Date||Allocated Time||Description of Event|
|Feb 2nd||March 1st||4 Weeks||Onsite verification of current equipment of participants eligible for upcoming phase and update of DRP databases|
|Feb 23rd||April 1st||3 Weeks||Notification to Deans & Directors of phase eligible employees in their areas and what machines will be offered|
|Mar 9th||May 1st||2 Weeks||Notifications to eligible employees asking them to make their choice of new computer|
|Mar 23rd||May 15th||1 Day||Choices finalized and final purchase numbers determined and sent to Tam|
|Mar 30th||Mid May||2 Weeks||Vendors contacted for quotes|
|April 6th||June 1st||1 Day||Computer Orders placed with expectation that machines will arrive around mid-June|
|April 13th||June 15th||Computers Received and Ptagged/Entered in FABweb|
|April 27th||June 15th||10 Weeks||Phase implementation|
|June 29th||August 31st||Target Date for Phase Completion|
|Date||Date||Allocated Time||Description of Event|
|Aug 1st||Sept 1st||4 Weeks||Onsite verification of current equipment of participants eligible for upcoming phase and update of DRP databases|
|Aug 22nd||Oct 1st||3 Weeks||Notification to Deans & Directors of phase eligible employees in their areas and what machines will be offered|
|Sept 12th||Nov 1st||2 Weeks||Notifications to eligible employees asking them to make their choice of new computer|
|Sept 26th||Nov 15th||1 Day||Choices finalized and final purchase numbers determined and sent to Tam|
|Oct 3rd||Mid Nov||2 Weeks||Vendors contacted for quotes|
|Oct 10th||Dec 1st||1 Day||Computer Orders placed with expectation that machines will arrive around mid December|
|Oct 30th||Dec 15th||Computers Received and Ptagged/Entered in FABweb|
|Nov 14th||Dec 15th||10 Weeks||Phase implementation|
- Replaced DRP computers are returned to ITS.
- Computers being replaced will be evaluated by ITS to determine if they are useful for repurposing.
- ITS will keep as many of the computers as necessary for special needs (spares, computer labs, etc.).
- Repurposed DRP machines can be used for temporary or student employees, for adjunct faculty, or in cases where additional computers are needed.
- Requests for repurposed computers are made to ITS Client Services.
- The requesters should agree to purchase service warranty for two years by providing a CFOAP on the request form. The approximate cost is $120/year.
- Upon approval, ITS will set up and deliver the computers.
- Repurposed computers will remain on ITS inventory.
To request a repurposed computer, please complete and submit the request form. You will also need to provide a CFOAP to cover the cost of a 2-year service warranty, after gaining the needed approval/authorization from your dean/director/department head.
Please contact Bill Cox at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.