What is the UIS Emergency Notification System?
It is an alert system that allows designated university officials to contact you in the event of an emergency or significant event. It sends text messages to your email, cell phone, PDA, or smart phone [Blackberry, iPhone, Treo, etc.].
The campus already has several ways to reach you, including mass mail, the campus homepage, a telephone tree, and local media. We are adding this new emergency notification system to enable students, faculty, and staff to quickly receive news and instructions during emergencies that could be life threatening.
Logging into the UIS Emergency Notification System
1. Go to the UIS Emergency Notification System website at https://emergency.uis.edu.
2. Enter your UIS Net ID and password. Click Login.
3. In the screen that appears, you will need to enter your cell phone number to receive text message from the Emergency Notification System.
To provide your cell phone number for text messaging in the correct format, click on the Text Message Formats link.
The following window will display a Provider and Email Format. Note the appropriate email format for your cell phone. If your cell phone provider is not listed, please contact your provider to find out the proper format.
4. Enter your email format in the Text Message field.
Update your contact information with up to three e-mail addresses and two text message addresses. If you use a non-university email provider(s), please enter that information in either Email1 or Email2. All information that you provide is secure.
5. Click Save when finished.
6. Once your changes have been saved, click OK.
7. Click Logout when finished.
8. You have now successfully updated your contact information for the UIS Emergency Notification System. Repeat these steps anytime you need to make a change to your contact information.
In the event of an emergency, you will receive messages at each of the numbers/emails you have provided to campus. When that happens, the message will come from email@example.com and the subject line should be: EMERGENCY!
After reading the message, please share the information in it with those around you.