- UNIX Accounts
- Publishing a website
- Server side scripting
- Microsoft DreamSpark [Formerly MSDNAA]
Publishing a Website
Note: By default, all files placed in your public_html folder are world viewable. If you have problems with permissions connect to “uisacad.is.edu” using SSH or telnet. Log in using your UIS netid and password and type chmod 755 ~ and press enter. Any files placed in your public_html folder should now be viewable on the web.
You can create a personal web site on uisacad. Your WWW documents must be stored in a directory named public_html under your home directory. This directory is already created for you with world-executable and world-readable permissions.
The welcome page for your web site should be named index.html. This page will be displayed when someone accesses your web site. The web address [URL] for your web site is:
Your-account-id is your login identifier. For example, the URL for the account named asmit01s is
You may use a text editor such as Notepad or more a sophisticated web development software such as FrontPage or Dreamweaver to create your html documents. FrontPage and Dreamweaver are available in all Academic Computing labs on campus.
- Create your HTML document
- Click Site
- Click Manage Sites
- Select New and Site
- Name your site
- Unless you are using ColdFusion, ASP.NET, ASP, JSP, or PHP, select “No, I do not want to use a server technology.
- Select “Edit local copies on my machine…” then type in the folder location on your hard drive for storing your HTML and dependent files.
- Select FTP from the dropdown menu, then enter the server name “uisacad.uis.edu”, type “public_html” into the folder location on server dialog box, then enter your NetID and password in the corresponding boxes. You can test that you have entered all of the information correctly by clicking on the “Test Connection” button.
- Select “No, I do not want to enable check in and check out.”
- Click Done
You can upload your web pages and images from your local computer hard drive or floppy disks to your account on uisacad server using an FTP program like WS_FTP [for Windows] or Fetch [for Mac].
For Example if your account is asmit01s and your html documents or images are on a floppy disk, follow the steps below to transfer your files to your account on uisacad using WS_FTP:
1. Launch WS_FTP
2. Enter server’s name, your user ID and password:
3. Click OK
4. On the left side of the window, navigate to the directory on your hard disk or floppy that contains the files you wish to upload:
5. Click on the public_html directory on the right side of the window. This takes you to your public_html directory. You have to save files in this directory to publish on the web. Select the file you want to transfer from the left side box. For Example asmit01s is transferring his file called test.html from his floppy disk [A drive]. After selecting the file, click on button. Your file will be transferred to your account. Now the files are ready to be viewed on the web.
The URL for the file called test.html for asmit01s account is
Steps for using Fetch to transfer files are similar.