Before trying Camtasia Relay, watch this short video that was created using the software.
A hand-out with step-by-step instructions for installing and using the software is available.
Installing Camtasia Relay
1. Open https://uiscamtasiar.uis.edu/Relay/. This will take you to the UIS Camtasia Relay website.
2. You will be prompted to accept a security certificate for the website as we are using a trial version of the software. Follow the directions that your browser gives you to accept the security certificate.
3. The Camtasia Relay website is loaded you will need to login with your NetID and Password. Click on “Sign In”.
4. After logging in, click on “Download Recorders” on the navigation bar. This takes you to the download recorders page where you will select the recorder for your operating system. Click the appropriate “Download” link to download the installation file.
5. After the download completes, locate and run the installer. This completes the installation of the Camtasia Relay client on your machine.
Using Camtasia Relay Client
1. Launch the “Camtasia Relay” client.
2. Enter your UIS NetID and password and click “Log in”.
3. To setup a new recording you need to:
i. Select a “Profile” from the drop down list. [More information]
ii. Add a “Title” for the recording.
iii. Add a brief “Description” for the recording.
4. Check the microphone’s audio level. To check this, locate the green bar labeled “Volume”. Begin speaking and the green bar should go at least halfway to the right [to the yellow section].
5. To begin recording, click “REC”. A second window will appear and there is a 5-second countdown to record. Once the countdown completes, the window changes and hides in your toolbar or dock.
6. To stop your recording, click on the Camtasia Relay item in your toolbar or dock to retrieve the recorder controls. Press the “Stop” button to end the recording.
7. The “Camtasia Relay Preview” will open. Here you can:
a. review your presentation
b. add additional notes
c. change the title
d. trim out any unwanted content at the beginning or the end of the video
8. When you are finished previewing or editing the video click “Submit”. The video will be uploaded to the Web and processed. Once the file has been processed, Camtasia will notify you via e-mail when it is completed.
Profiles in Camtasia Relay
The 1024X768 Flash Video High Quality is the default profile assigned to the every user. We can also add a customized profile to your account upon request. Examples of customized profiles include:
- A link under associated course in Blackboard with an announcement.
- A 600X480 High Quality MP4 Video for iTunes U
Contact: Tulio Llosa Phone: 217-206-7755 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Explore Your Camtasia Relay Account
Once logged into your account at https://uiscamtasiar.uis.edu/Relay/, you will find the following tabs: Home, Presentations, Profiles, Account, Download recorders.
- “Home” is where you find “Recent Presentations” and FAQ’s.
- “Presentations” features two columns. One shows all of your presentations, and the other shows the status of your latest presentation. The first column also contains the detailed information about all of your previous presentations like number of “Completed”, ” Processing”, “Deleted”, “Failed” and “Needs attention” presentations which are separated by a drop-down list.
- “Profiles” is your current Profile/list of profiles [i.e type of video]. Blackboard settings, recording settings, encoding settings and publishing setting are displayed here.
- “Accounts” is where you can manage your Camtasia Relay Accounts.
- “Download Recorders” is where you can download Camtasia Relay client onto your machine.
- The following is a screenshot of an e-mail that is automatically generated by Camtasia Relay after your recording has been processed.
- You can view your presentation by clicking on (1) “View the presentation”, which opens a new browser window to play your presentation.
- Clicking on (2), the hyperlink after “View presentation link”, will give an error. Do not share this link with your students and colleagues.
- When you begin recording in Camtasia Relay, your mouse might begin to flicker, which makes it difficult to maneuver. To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
1. Right-click on the Desktop and choose Properties.
2. Click on the Settings tab.
3. In the Setting tab, click on the Advanced button.
4. Click on the Troubleshoot tab. Next to Hardware acceleration, click and drag the slider from Full to None.
5. Click OK.