Information Technology Technical Associate
How to Apply
Please create an account from at http://jobs.uis.edu. Once account is created, you will need to click on the Civil Service page and click “Apply Now” which will give you access to the Civil Service employment application forms. Once the pre-approval and application forms are complete, submit an exam request form to apply.
Please login to your profile at http://jobs.uis.edu, ensure your civil service employment application is up to date, and submit an exam request form to apply.
To properly evaluate your qualifications for this position, your online application must include a complete employment history detailing duties, education and certifications. Note that a resume cannot substitute for the information required on the official application form.
For full consideration, applicants must be residents of the State of Illinois.
College Transcripts and Veteran’s Preference Eligibility
College transcripts and military discharge documentation (DD214, DD215, and NGB22) must be uploaded with the online application. Human Resources will not accept faxed, e-mailed, or hand delivered documentation to our office.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: September 9, 2016
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT TRANSCRIPTS: September 19, 2016
Failure to list or accurately describe work experience or failure to submit college transcripts by deadline date may result in an applicant not being admitted to the exam.
Minimum Starting Salary: $21.94/hourly
This position may require pre-employment screening pursuant to the UIS Pre-Employment Policy.
UIS is an affirmative action/equal employment opportunity employer; persons with disabilities, women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide Level 1/Level 2 direct support to faculty, staff, and students. This includes advanced troubleshooting for supported software and hardware, researching complex problems, and working directly with the customers to resolve the issues. Assist in training of student Helpdesk technicians.
- Assist in Desktop Refresh Program management and implementation, including imaging workstations and deploying them to the client. Assist in the information gathering and organization by directly communicating with customers and providing specifications for computers provided through the program.
- Perform routine Active Directory maintenance including moving computer accounts to appropriate subgroups, enforcement of naming policies, alteration of names and adding and removing accounts from permissions groups.
- Establish, administer, and maintain back-end Helpdesk systems including wikis, data storage servers, software installation points, operating system images and live chat. Work closely with the development and systems groups when needed.
- Coordinates research on technologies that improve the processes and systems assigned to the Helpdesk. This includes both improving existing processes as well as implementing emerging technology to facilitate the Helpdesk mission.
- Assist in training of student Helpdesk technicians
- Assist in documentation and enforcement of Helpdesk policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications
- Any combination totaling two years from the following categories:
- progressively more responsible work experience in IT-related profession
- college course work in Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely related discipline, as measured by the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent:
- 60 semester hours or Associate’s Degree equals one year
- 90-120 semester hours or Bachelor’s Degree equals two years
Note: As required by the position to be filled, additional education, training and/or work experience in an area of specialization inherent in the position may be necessary in meeting credential requirements.
Advanced knowledge of creating and deploying Mac and PC desktop images over a network
Knowledge of software installation and support of software/hardware
Position requires knowledge of campus technologies, hardware, and software for both Windows and OS operating systems. Strong customer service skills accompanied by excellent communication skills are required to meet the needs of the campus. Organizational and troubleshooting skills are essential, as is the ability to multi-task and prioritize projects, while continuing to provide effective assistance and support to ensure daily operational needs are met.
Position interacts with University and departmental faculty/staff/students and other internal/external constituencies to obtain/provide information to facilitate operations and services administered by the department. Communication is accomplished via phone, in-person, and electronic communication. Strong interpersonal skills and a professional decorum are required to fulfill all assigned duties and responsibilities that serve to meet the highest standards of professionalism established by the University and the department.
Work is primarily performed in an office setting, with regular occasions of walking to other classrooms, labs, and/or offices on campus to maintain equipment and provide instruction and support. Candidates should be able to lift and transport computer equipment. Applicants must be able to lift up to 50 pounds occasionally and 10 to 20 pounds routinely.