Applying for the History online B.A. program
Student credentials are evaluated first in Admissions and then forwarded to the History Program. Your application must satisfy the enrollment criteria of both in order for you to be considered for entry to the Online History B.A. Program. Remember, the program’s decision about your admission will be made only after all the required application materials have been received.
Students will be admitted on a continual, rolling basis.
The History Online degree program will only consider applicants who live 50 or more miles away from UIS, unless the applicant has a documented disability.
We will write to acknowledge your application shortly after reviewing your application file.
- To apply to the Online History Program, you must first have:
- A minimum of 30 credit hours at the lower-division (freshman/sophomore) level
- A grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale from an accredited college or university
- GPAs below a 2.5 will be given consideration; however, additional explanation regarding the GPA must be provided in the Statement of Intent
- Access to the Internet and compliance with Technology Requirements
- The study skills and dedication necessary to complete a degree online
- RECOMMENDED: 6 semester hours of lower-division survey work in two distinct historical regions (e.g., 3 hours U.S. Civilization AND 3 hours Western OR World Civilization) from an accredited institution
- Six semester hours of lower-division survey coursework is required for the History degree; however, applicants do not need to complete this requirement before admission.
- After acquiring all of the above, the next step in the admissions process is to follow the UIS procedure for online application.
- In addition to the general UIS admissions process, applicants who are applying to the Online History Program must submit a Statement of Intent (not to exceed 500 words) in which they discuss:
- Their ability to succeed in an online degree program, specifically the extent to which they possess good study skills, can work independently, can set and achieve both long-term and short-term goals, and can meet deadlines
- Academic background
- Rationale for pursuing a History degree
- Rationale for wanting to complete the degree online at UIS
- How the applicant first learned about the online History B.A. program at UIS.
- Other relevant experience
- The statement of intent should be sent to the department via email to email@example.com or via postal mail to the following address:
History Department Online Program
University of Illinois at Springfield
One University Plaza, UHB 3050
Springfield, IL 62703-5407
Students must have these minimum requirements in order to participate in online courses:
- 333MHz Intel® Pentium® processor or equivalent
- 604 PowerPC (200 MHz or better)
- 128 MB RAM
- 56Kbps modem
- 65MB virtual memory
- 16-bit sound card and speakers
- Mac OS 8.1 or newer
- 65,000-color video display card (video)
- Internet connection and either Internet Explorer 5.5 or Netscape 4.7 or newer
- Windows 98 operating system or newer
- SOME classes might require CD-ROM
Those interested in the Online History major at UIS should participate in a browser test sponsored by the Center for Online Learning Research and Service. The results of this test will ensure that program candidates’ systems have the requisite tools and that they are working properly.
The results screen at the end of the browser test will help to download needed software. The browser test assumes that hardware meets the requirements listed below. If the computer does not meet these requirements, it will not be able to pass the browser test.