Online Bachelor’s Degree in History
The Online History program at UIS is a selective program, identical to the on-campus program except for entrance requirements. Advantages of the online B.A. in History include:
- Courses are kept small in order to maximize learning opportunities through active participation and close interaction with professors and students.
- In order to ensure quality, all classes are taught by tenured and tenure-track professors with Ph.D.’s, who are leaders in their respective fields and innovators in online History education.
- Students can complete their degrees in their own time and at their own pace.
- Online students have opportunities to conduct independent research through the History Honors Course of Study, study abroad, and complete internships.
- Courses encompass both American and World History and emphasize the development of skills in critical thinking and analytical reading and writing that are in demand by employers, graduate schools, and professional programs.
- Scholarships are available!
- Students and professors are active doing history in and out of the classroom.
For more information about the UIS History online program, please email the History Department (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call (217) 206-6779
Student credentials are evaluated first in Admissions and then forwarded to the History Program. Your application must satisfy the enrollment criteria of both in order for you to be considered for entry to the Online History B.A. Program. Remember, the program’s decision about your admission will be made only after all the required application materials have been received.
Students will be admitted on a continual, rolling basis.
The History Online degree program will only consider applicants who live 50 or more miles away from UIS, unless the applicant has a documented disability.
We will write to acknowledge your application shortly after reviewing your application file.
- To apply to the Online History Program, you must first have:
- A minimum of 30 credit hours at the lower-division (freshman/sophomore) level.
- A grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale from an accredited college or university.
- GPAs below a 2.5 will be given consideration; however, additional explanation regarding the GPA must be provided in the Statement of Intent.
- Internet access and sufficient computer speed to do online work.
- The study skills and dedication necessary to complete a degree online.
- RECOMMENDED: 6 semester hours of lower-division survey work in two distinct historical regions (e.g., 3 hours U.S. Civilization AND 3 hours Western OR World Civilization) from an accredited institution.
- Six semester hours of lower-division survey coursework is required for the History degree; however, applicants do not need to complete this requirement before admission.
- After acquiring all of the above, the next step in the admissions process is to follow the UIS procedure for online application.
- In addition to the general UIS admissions process, applicants who are applying to the Online History Program must submit a Statement of Intent (not to exceed 500 words) in which they discuss:
- Their ability to succeed in an online degree program, specifically the extent to which they possess good study skills, can work independently, can set and achieve both long-term and short-term goals, and can meet deadlines
- Academic background
- Rationale for pursuing a History degree
- Rationale for wanting to complete the degree online at UIS
- How the applicant first learned about the online History B.A. program at UIS.
- Other relevant experience