The Department Chair is responsible for supervising all aspects of the advising process. Each student will be assigned an initial adviser; however, degree candidates may request a change of adviser. It is a student’s responsibility to fill out a program plan during the first semester and to make regular contact with their adviser each semester in regard to courses and overall progress in the Department.
The adviser’s responsibilities include the following:
- To develop a plan of study with each advisee to insure timely completion of degree requirements. (Students must inform advisers if they plan to stop out of the Department for a semester.) The program plan should be completed by the end of the student’s first semester.
- To advise the student regarding subsequent courses to take as well as planning projects for specialized studies.
- To communicate faculty concerns about advisee resulting from faculty evaluation of students.
- To review advisee’s graduation contract (program plan) to insure that all requirements have been met.
- To direct advisee’s master’s degree project or thesis unless another faculty member has been selected as project director.