Fall Semester Placements
The annual application deadline for first round consideration was March 15. Students who wished to be considered for an assistantship starting on August 16 must have had a complete application file on record with the Graduate Assistantship Office by March 15 in order to be included in the first round of file reviews.
If the annual priority deadline is missed, students may submit a complete application file by June 1 to be included in the second round.
If a third round is required to fill vacant assistantships, the final date by which a complete application must be submitted is July 1.
Spring Semester Placements
The deadline to submit a complete application to be considered if any assistantship positions are available for the spring semester is November 1.
COMPLETE APPLICATION FILE
A complete application file consists of the following documents (please note that items 5 and 6 are not provided to the GA Office by the applicant, but rather are requested from Admissions by the GA Office on behalf of the applicant):
- An online application
- A current resume
- A completed personal goal statement (This format is required, and you must respond to the questions using your own words.* Answers are provided directly onto this form. INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS cannot submit a Statement of Purpose in place of this document. This form is required of all applicants.)
- 3 letters of reference (At least two letters of reference MUST be provided by either professors or academic advisors familiar with your academic performance. If you are currently enrolled in courses at UIS, you should provide letters from UIS professors. If you are applying to both the GA and GPSI Programs, your three selected references may each provide one letter and copies will be provided to both the GA and GPSI offices.)
- Official undergraduate transcripts**, and if applicable, official graduate transcripts (You do not need to submit this documentation directly to the GA Office , but rather submit it to the UIS Office of Admissions. The GA Office will request your transcripts be sent from Admissions once your admission status is finalized with your chosen graduate degree program. For more information, contact the UIS Office of Admissions.)
- Documentation from the UIS Office of Admissions (i.e., copy of Notice of Graduate Admission form) verifying that you have been either conditionally or fully admitted to a graduate degree program (NOTE: You do not need to submit this documentation – it will be requested from the GA Office and provided by the UIS Office of Admissions once your admission decision is finalized.)
*If any document submitted as part of the application requirements to the GA Program is determined to have been plagiarized/copied from another source, the applicant’s file will be immediately and permanently removed from the applicant pool.
**Please note that if your undergraduate degree is in progress at the time you apply for graduate admission and/ or for a graduate assistantship, thereby resulting in you being conditionally admitted to your graduate program, final transcripts with official undergraduate degree certifications MUST be provided to the UIS Office of Admissions BEFORE a contract can be initiated for you to begin working in your assistantship position. This is applicable for both domestic and international students.
TO APPLY or REAPPLY
NOTE: If you are not selected to fill an assistantship and wish to continue being included in the appicant pool, a new online application must be submitted by March 15 each year you wish to be considered.
- CLICK HERE if you wish to apply for admission to graduate study at UIS, as well as for a Graduate
Assistantship for the Spring 2013 semester (by 11/1/12), or for the 2013-14 academic year (starting Fall 2013).
- CLICK HERE if you have already applied for admission to graduate study, or are a current graduate student and wish to apply for a Graduate Assistantship for the Spring 2013 semester (by 11/1/12), or for the 2013-14 academic year (starting Fall 2013).
(NOTE: An F-1 visa and a social security number must be on file BEFORE you may begin working as a graduate assistant. Please refer the “Eligibility Criteria” option for more information. Additionally, an attested and sealed copy of your undergraduate degree certification must be on file with the UIS Office of Admissions BEFORE you may begin working. The UIS Office of Admissions may provide you with an extended time frame to provide your convocation certificate; however, if it is not on file, you may place your eligibility at risk because hiring departments will not wait for this document to arrive before finalizing hiring decisions.
Please also note the statement for application document #3 above. Statements of Purpose are not accepted for GA application purposes.)
- CLICK HERE if you wish to apply for admission to graduate study at UIS, as well as for a Graduate Assistantship for the Spring 2013 semester (by 11/1/12), or for the 2013-14 academic year (starting Fall 2013).
- CLICK HERE if you have already applied for admission to graduate study, or are a current UIS graduate student
and wish to apply for a Graduate Assistantship for the Spring 2013 semester (by 11/1/12), or for the 2013-14 academic year (starting Fall 2013).
LETTERS OF REFERENCE INFORMATION
Three (3) current letters of recommendation are required. Two letters must be submitted from faculty members familiar with your academic work, and the third may be submitted from either another faculty member or from an employer.
Letters cannot be submitted to the GA Office by applicants (i.e., included in application packets sent by the applicant to the GA Office, or otherwise submitted by the applicant). They MUST be provided directly by the reference source, by an academic department (e.g., letters of reference provided to a graduate program for purposes of admission), or in the case of international students, provided by the UIS Office of Admissions (the letters of reference submitted as part of the application packet).
To be considered current, letters of reference must be dated within 18 months of your application date.
There is no required format for letters of reference; however, they must be presented on letterhead and they must be signed. Letters meeting these requirements may be submitted as .pdf attachments by the selected reference source to email@example.com.
Download the blank ‘Letter of Reference Release Form’ (pdf). Please follow the instructions detailed on the form. This form is not required. Note that this release form is used by both the GA and GPSI programs. If used, all letters are mailed to the GPSI Office and forwarded to the GA Office as required based upon how item #3 on the form is completed by the applicant.