Next GIS workshop: Saturday 24 October 2015
The Geographic Information Systems Laboratory is pleased to offer an upcoming GIS workshop. The GIS workshop is designed for beginners to gain hands-on experience of GIS. Participants will learn GIS basics using ArcGIS 10.3. If you are wanting to pursue a GIS certificate or thinking about taking ENS 404 (Fundamentals of GIS) or ENS 503 (Advanced GIS Applications), take this workshop to get ahead of the game and solidify your fundamental skills. This workshop is designed to launch you into the world of GIS. All participating teachers will receive 7 CPDUs.
The workshop will cover the basics of displaying, querying, and sharing geospatial data using ArcGIS 10.3 desktop and ArcGIS online. Participants will learn GIS basics using the latest ESRI ArcGIS 10.3 software.
- Creating thematic maps
- Display locational and statistical data specific to your interests using professionally designed maps.
- Finding the best locations for your projects
- Conduct spatial queries and spatial processing to identify the best locations for your projects.
- Geocoding addresses and mapping businesses and homes
- Map addresses of your clients, locations of incidents, and points of interests.
- Downloading and mapping data for your community
- Work with census data, natural resources data, economic data, housing data, and other data specific to your interests.
All workshop participants will receive:
- Free UIS Flash Drive complete with a large Illinois Geospatial dataset.
- Digital comprehensive workbook, including step-by-step instructions.
Date and Location:
- 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM on Saturday, October 24th, 2015
- Human Resources Building HRB classroom 110.
- Lunch break from 12:00 – 1:00; lunch is not provided.
- $80 – UIS Students with Endorsement from their Advisors or Instructors
- $125 – Active Students, UIS Faculty, or Staff Member
- $250 – No current affiliation with UIS
Seats are limited, register early.
For registration or requirement for the endorsement, please contact the GIS Lab at (217) 206-8403, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.