Waste Management Overview
Waste Management is here to provide information on proper disposal of various wastes in the campus community.
A material becomes a waste when it is discarded or can no longer be used for its original intended purpose. Waste management and disposal requirements vary depending on the waste stream. Information for various waste streams follows.
Chemical waste includes waste generated in science labs, waste cleaning products, waste liquids, waste solids and paint waste.
- For chemical waste generated by the Science Division phone 217-206-8341.
- For chemical waste generated by other campus activities, including paint waste phone 217-206-8062.
Confidential Document Shredding
Lockable security containers, for confidential document shredding, are available for a fee.
- Contact the Building Services Supervisor at 217-206-8533 for more information.
Medical waste and other waste contaminated with blood must be placed in red bags. Sharps containers must be used for medical waste that presents the potential for cuts or punctures. There are specific requirements for management of medical waste.
- Questions about medical waste phone 217-206-8062.
UIS recycles several waste streams, including paper, plastic, aluminum and lead acid batteries.
- Questions about recycling or recycling container issues phone 217-206-6379.
This term is used to describe regular trash and garbage that is disposed on a landfill.
- For information about solid waste disposal, including schedules for garbage/trash dumpster removal phone 217-206-6531.
Spill and Emergency Response
The UIS Police have responsibility for the overall campus Emergency Response Plan. Incidental spill response is a function of various campus units.
- UIS Police Emergency 217-206-7777
- UIS Police non-emergency 217-206-6690
- Spill Response and Cleanup 217-206-8062