The English as a Second Language (ESL) Program is designed for people whose native language is not English.
Our mission is to help our students reach personal and academic goals:
- We provide our students with language skills for academic success at UIS and beyond.
- We support UIS faculty and staff who work with non-native English speakers.
- We welcome non-native speakers who are not enrolled in a degree-seeking program at UIS.
- English-language assessment exams (see below)
- Two ways (intensive & non-intensive) to learn and/or enhance English language skills in our academic courses
- Conversation practice outside of the classroom
- Individual consultations with our expert ESL staff
- UIS ESL Placement Exam for new undergraduate students to determine if language support is necessary
- ESL Exit Exam for conditionally-admitted undergraduate students to gain full admission to a degree program