Graduate Certificate in Teaching English
Get a Certificate!
- Specialized Knowledge and Skills for Teaching Secondary Institutions and Community Colleges or Dual-Credit Courses
- Composition, Literature, Language for Classroom Instruction and Curricular Development
- Certificate Available with or without Master’s Degree
Please note: This certificate does not provide teaching certification for any state board of education.
- Students must meet UIS requirements for admission to graduate study
- Bachelor’s Degree in English or other area of study
- Non-English BA must have prerequisite courses equivalent to English Minor. Submit transcript for evaluation.
For questions or concerns, please contact: Julie Atwell, English Program Support Staff – firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, submit:
- UIS Non-Degree Seeking Graduate Application: www.uis.edu/admissions/applyToday
- Complete transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Cover Letter – indicating purpose for applying
- Analytic Writing Sample – 2,500-3,500 words
- Two recommendation letters
- Minimum one Academic Reference
Student may choose to apply to the M.A. program during course of study. Additional materials will be required. Please see Master’s Degree (On-Campus) Admissions Process for more information.
Candidates for the certificate will be expected to complete course requirements with a grade of C+ or better. See UIS Catalog for course descriptions.
Coursework: 18 hours
ENG 501: Digital Humanities Research – 4 hours
ENG 550: Teaching Writing – 4 hours
ENG 551: Teaching Literature – 4 hours
ENG 552: Sociolinguistics and English Studies – 4 hours
ENG 553: Teaching Practicum – 2 hours