Study in Greece, Summer 2007
Ever want to learn about Greek mythology and culture?
See the Parthenon and some of the great archeological sites of the classical world?
Join us for a summer experience in Greece during the UIS Summer Session 2007 when we will be offering English 359: Greek Mythology in a special session on Greek Mythology and Culture.
We will spend the first three weeks of the Summer Session on campus reading works by Homer, Sophocles, and other classical authors and preparing for our trip. We will then spend 16 days in Greece (from June 27 to July 13) where we will continue our study while we visit many sites central to the mythology and classical culture including the Parthenon in Athens, the Temple of Posiden along the Agean Sea, Delphi, Sparta, the new archeological finds in Nemea, and the glorious island of Crete where we will learn more about ancient Minoan civilization. We will also have the opportunity to enjoy a performance at the ancient amphitheatre at Epidavros. Finally, before we depart from Athens, we’ll be treated to farewell dinner featuring Greek folk music and dancing. On our return to UIS, we will have a couple of weeks to finish final projects and presentations before the end of the summer session.
Deadline for Registration and Deposit:
February 1, 2007 (a short application and two letters of recommendation are required)
Hesiod, Theogony (selections)
Homer, Iliad (selections)
Sophocles, Oedipus Rex
Jane Cahill, Her Kind (collections of Greek and Roman myths modernized by a feminist classicist)
Selections from the histories of Herodotus and Thucydides
Selections from Ovid, Metamorphoses
4, but can be more to meet financial aid requirements* or Applied Study Term credit
Trip: $3,600 travel (see the Itinerary, Inclusions and Exclusions below)
Tuition: $1,200 UIS summer tuition and fees for those who are taking the course for college credit
*Contact the Office of Financial Aid, (217) 206-6724, to check financial aid eligibility
(for a detailed itinerary, click here)
Included in price:
- Round Trip Air Fare from Chicago O’Hare to Athens
- All transportation while in Greece by first or best-class steamer, ferry, private air-conditioned motorcoach
- Standard, air conditioned hotel based on two persons sharing a twin-bedded room with private facilities
- Sightseeing as described in itinerary
- Entrance fees
- Baggage handling and porterage. Transfers to and from airport and ports of call.
- Full time tour guide
- Gratuities to waiters, baggage porters, hotels staff.
- Welcome Dinner
- Farewell Dinner
Expenses not included in price above:
- Passport Expenses
- Meals and beverages other than those described in itinerary
- Gratuities to guide and driver
- Personal expenses such as phone calls, laundry, etc.
You can download a copy of the full brochure here.�