Reu Application Instructions
Here’s what you will need to do:
Rank your research projects:
Visit our page with Research Projects, so that you can rank the three research areas in order of your personal preference (where 1 is your first choice, and 3 is your last choice).
Get a letter of recommendation:
Ask a faculty member at your institution who is familiar with your work to write you a letter of recommendation. Ask them to e-mail their letter directly to us at “firstname.lastname@example.org” using “REU letter of recommendation” in the Subject line.
Upload your transcript:
Obtain an electronic copy of your academic transcript and upload it to your web application. An unofficial one is fine. If you are accepted into the program, you will need to provide an official transcript at that time.
Complete your professional essay:
The purpose of this essay is to let us know your professional goals related to the summer research program.
- Include your name at the start of the essay.
- Write a 400-word (maximum) essay on your professional goals. Include:
- Your post-graduation goals in relation to a scientific career;
- How the summer REU program would fit in with your previous experience.
- Coursework, internships, or jobs you’ve had;
- The research area that is of most interest to you and why.
- You may want to type this essay using MS Word (or similar software) and save it on your computer before starting the online application. Be sure to read it through and check for typos and spelling errors!
Fill in all the fields of the webform, including the General Data at the end (the General Data is for NSF purposes only and will not be used to screen applicants). To enter your information, click in the open box and type or paste (Ctrl V).
Deadline: 5PM CST March 1, 2010
Notifications will be sent out in the middle of April.
Program dates: June 1 – August 6, 2010
If you have any questions about the Emiquon REU program, contact:
Dr. Keenan Dungey
Department of Chemistry
University of Illinois Springfield
One University Plaza, Mail Stop HSB 312
Springfield, IL 62703-5407