UIS requires that students complete courses in several disciplines or areas that constitutes “general education” requirements. Specific coursework in the following areas is required: oral and written communications, mathematics, science, social science, and humanities. Consult your UIS catalog and academic advisor for additional information.
The first sixty hours of lower division coursework (100 and 200 level courses) are generally devoted to general education courses in English, oral communication, humanities, social science, physical and life science, and mathematics. Ideally prerequisites for business majors should also be completed in the first sixty hours.
FOUNDATION (21 Hours)
If a student enters UIS without these foundation courses, they can be taken during the first and second semesters concurrently with other coursework. However, foundation courses are prerequisites for most of the College and Economics core.
- ACC 211 Introduction to Financial Accounting 3 Hrs.
- ACC 212 Introduction to Managerial Accounting 3 Hrs.
- ECO 201 Introduction to Microeconomics 3 Hrs.
- ECO 202 Introduction to Macroeconomics 3 Hrs.
- ECO 213 Statistics for Business and Economics 3 Hrs.
- MAT 113 Business Calculus 3 Hrs. (Recommended)
OR other calculus OR MAT 114 Finite Math 3 Hrs.
- A behavior science course (e.g., psychology, sociology) 3 Hrs. (Consult advisor for other options.)
A minimum grade of C- is acceptable for any foundation course, and an overall foundation GPA of 2.0 is required.
Students are encouraged to meet with their academic advisors in order to determine what other courses they can enroll in while finishing their foundation coursework.
Coursework equivalents may be accepted.
COLLEGE CORE (21 Hours)
The college core is required of all undergraduate College of Business and Management students. Students must earn a cumulative college core course GPA of at least 2.00.
- BUS 302 Principles of Financial Management (3 Hrs.)
- BUS 312 Principles of Marketing (3 Hrs.)
- BUS 322 Principles of Operations Management (3 Hrs.)
- BUS 331 Business and Society (3 Hrs.)
- MIS 352 Principles of Management Information Systems (3 Hrs.)
- MGT 310 Managing Organizational Behavior (3 Hrs.)
- MGT 488 Strategic Management and Leadership**
A minimum grade of C- is required in all College Core courses EXCEPT MGT 488. A minimum grade of C (2.0) is required in MGT 488. (A grade of C- or lower will not be accepted.)
**Prerequisite: All college core courses, and within 12 hours of graduation or during the student’s last semester.
ECONOMICS MAJOR (18 Hours)
- ECO 301 Managerial Economics 3 Hrs.
- ECO 302 Macroeconomics in a Global Economy 3 Hrs.
- ECO 314 Analytical Decision Making for Business and Economics
- 3 upper division Economics courses from UIS 9 Hrs.
GENERAL ELECTIVES (Hours Vary)
These hours should be 120 hours minus all other requirements. (See the UIS Catalog for more information.)
ENGAGED CITIZENSHIP COMMON EXPERIENCE
(ECCE) (10 Hours)
See the UIS Catalog for further information on ECCE requirements.
*NOTE: Freshmen and sophomore students should be aware that the internship in the Experiential and Service Learning Programs (EXL) is classified as part of the engagement experience and elective categories in ECCE. It is recommended that students complete and internship during their senior year, so they should not fulfill either the ECCE or elective requirements with lower division ECCE courses. They should wait to enroll in 6 hours of EXL 300 which will then fulfill the engagement requirement.
Students are encouraged to take a combination of foundation, college core, Economic core, and other required courses (general electives and ECCE) each semester.