UIS announces $2.4M raised for Student Union
On Tuesday, October 28, 2014, University of Illinois Springfield Chancellor Susan J. Koch announced private gifts totaling $2.4 million earmarked for the new Student Union during a campaign kickoff party on campus.
Significant gifts have been received from Dr. Shirley Baer, Jack Dolan, Bill and Mary Schnirring, recent UIS honorary degree recipient Evelyn Brandt Thomas, and Robert and Marilyn Uteg through a bequest.
The 50,000-square-foot Student Union building at UIS is expected to open in late fall of 2016. It will house dining services, a high-end coffee shop, many lounge spaces, and a Student Leadership Center with offices for student leaders and workspaces for projects. A ballroom with adjoining catering facilities will accommodate 350-450 people at banquets and will also serve as conference space. A large plaza for outdoor events will surround the north and west ends of the building. Community members will be able to schedule activities in the ballroom/conference spaces or on the plaza through UIS Conference Services.
The total cost of the project will be $21.75 million. In 2012, UIS students approved a referendum to increase student fees to cover about half of that cost. Learn more about the Student Union project at www.uis.edu/studentunion.
- Faculty and Staff Set Record
- James J. Pancrazio Scholarship Fund Now Endowed
- UIS Athletics Welcomes Paul Kabbes, Associate Director for External Operations
- China Exchange Program fund honors retired professor Dr. Stephen Schwark
- Joan Buckles Retires
- Moy Fund Generates Inaugural Grants
- Pave the Way Fund will raise funds to turf Kiwanis Stadium and establish the Aydin Gonulsen endowed scholarship.
- Bank of Springfield Gift Boosts Momentum for UIS Athletics.
- Access Illinois Scholarship Initiative: Providing Access to Students in Need
- Prairie Stars Institutes a New Booster Club: The STARS Club