Former Students, Friends, Community Members Endow Volasco Scholarship Fund
Over the past few months, more than 56 donors have either given or pledged gifts that will endow the Manny Velasco Athletic Scholarship Fund, named in honor of former coach Manny Velasco.
Because the endowment was completed by June 30, every award given over the next TEN years will be matched through the Access Illinois Scholarship Initiative (the opportunity for a match ended on June 30).
This will be a great way to honor Manny for all his years of service to UIS—and of course because the fund is endowed, awards from the fund will continue in perpetuity.
More For You To Read
Take a look at the Chancellor’s blog entry entitle “Manny Thank Yous” in which she speaks of Manny’s many contributions to UIS and to the larger Springfield community.
You can also read more about Manny and find access to a video about Manny from the UIS Coaches Show on the Development website.
Thanks to all of you who helped with the endowment!
- Syma Mendelsohn (Syma R. Mendelsohn Endowed Scholarship Fund)
- Nancy and Charles “Chick” Chapin (Chapin/Lanphier Scholarship Fund)
- John Takeuchi (Scholarship for international students)
- Shellie and Tyler Treat (Treat Family Women in IT Scholarship Fund)
- Wayne and Margie Fox (Annual award for unpaid internships)
- Melissa Stout (the Jane and John Stout Educational Scholarship)
- Therkildsen and Barrows Families (Therkildsen Field Station)
- Sally Pancrazio (and many others)
- Paula (Polly) and Lou Myers
- Herb and Elizabeth Denniss
- Margaret Wepner