Substance abuse is a concern with which many people struggle. Some common reasons that people use alcohol and drugs are: to escape problems or relieve anxiety, to fit in, to celebrate social occasions, and to relieve boredom.
Substance abuse increases the risk of harm from accidents and violence, and can result in missing classes or work, strained relationships, health problems, legal difficulties, and physical dependence.
The Counseling Center staff helps individuals to identify situations that trigger substance use and abuse and to develop alternative coping strategies. The staff also works with the UIS Substance Abuse Task Force to sponsor substance abuse prevention activities for the campus.
- Want to see images of alcohol and drug abuse? Welcome to Amen Cliinics Spect Gallery.
- “Facts on Tap” — Facts about alcohol and your college experience.
- NIDA for Teens: Facts on drugs, get the inside information on how different drugs can affect the brain and body.
- Pregnancy & Drugs: The harm that drugs can do to your unborn child
- Methamphetamine Abuse, as well as info on Ecstasy, LSD, Heroin
- Designer Drugs – “Accidents will Happen” This article is a good introduction to anyone not familiar with designer drugs. It explains how they got their name, what they are, what they do and why they can be more dangerous then heroin or cocaine.
- The American Council on Science and Health cites studies that conclude smoking among teenagers is strongly linked to other types of substance abuse.
- Smoking – Attention smokers who want to be non-smokers, use this cost calculator to help with motivation.
- Treatment 4 Addiction is the largest and most frequently updated treatment center directory. The national directory of treatment centers includes the SAMSHA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) database, as well as many private treatment centers, therapists and addiction professionals. It also provides information on types of treatment, addictions and mental health disorders.
- Drug Rehab Locator was created to help individuals and their family members seeking drug rehab facilities, drug detox facilities, teen drug rehab, and dual diagnosis treatment. You just enter the state you are located in, followed by the city.