Refuse A Drink
Alcohol Refusal Skills
Tips on how to be better equipped to refuse alcohol:
- Choose positive friends who don’t need alcohol to have fun.
- Be assertive in turning down the opportunity to drink.
- Make eye contact when turning down an opportunity to drink.
Statements to use in refusing alcohol:
- “I have more positive things in to do in my life.”
- “I don’t need to drink; being sober is a great high.”
- “I would rather hang out at the rec center or student center.”
- Say, “No thanks, I don’t need it.”
- “Sorry, my friends and I have chosen not to drink.”
- “Sorry, I don’t drink.”
- “I am on my way to the gym.”
- “I am saving my money for a new car.”
- “I am allergic to alcohol.”
- “No thank you, I am watching my calorie intake.”
- “Sorry, I am on my way to practice.”
- “Sorry, I have a test to study for.”
- “Sorry, I am not 21.”
- “Sorry, alcohol does not mix with my medication.”
TOP TEN WAYS TO TURN DOWN A DRINK!
- “No, thank you!” (No explanation necessary; your response can be short, sweet and direct).
- “I’ve had enough.” (Again, short, to the point and completely acceptable).
- “Thanks, but I’ve got a ton of work to do later.”
- “I’d rather get a soda, thanks.”
- “I’m allergic to alcohol.”
- “I’m driving tonight.”
- “I have a game/practice tomorrow.”
- “I’m O.K. for now.” (BYOC: Bring your own cup and keep it filled with something other than alcohol).
- “No thanks, I’m taking medication that I cannot drink with.”
- “I’m dieting; alcohol’s got way too many calories.”
TRY SAYING NO WITH A DIFFERENT TWIST:
With an invitation:
Leave the door open for the future, “Not now”.
With a friend:
Plan with a friend beforehand what each of you will or will not do. Stay with the plan and stick together. The decision not to drink then becomes a kind of team decision.
With an exit:
Plan to physically relocate if you feel you are in an uncomfortable situation.
Have a quick one liner ready:
“No thanks, I’m still tired from being up late last night”.
“You know that your problem is? You think too much about others. It’s time you start making yourself and your need’s a top priority”.