9 Things UIS Alumni Can Do
[Updated April 15, 2014]
- Enjoy your life.
“Give it everything you’ve got. Make sure, when the curtain comes down, that you’re exhausted – that you’ve wrung every last drop of joy and wonder and pain and awe from life.”
2013 UIS Commencement speech
- Engage with UIS on social media
- Facebook: Share posts from the University of Illinois Springfield on Facebook. Also, Like the Office of UIS Alumni Relations on Facebook.
- Twitter: Follow @UISedu, use the #UISedu hashtag and retweet to your followers.
- Instagram: Follow the #UISedu hashtag.
- LinkedIn: Join the UIS Alumni group and build on the 1,100 who already have.
Especially be on the lookout for new “Alumni Profiles” and share them often on social media when you see them.
- Update your contact and directory information on the Alumni website
- Join the Illinois Connection
- Offer an internship to a current student, or hire one in the summer. Contact Sarah Stover at the AST Office or Tammy Craig at the Career Center
- Events especially for alumni:
- Contact Holly Fowler: firstname.lastname@example.org to stay up to date.
- Save this date and give us just a little time
- May 14, 2014 – Lobby Day in Springfield – afternoon only. For more information, contact Ed Wojcicki (email@example.com).
- Make a donation to a scholarship or create your own scholarship.
Current students need scholarships, no question about it. The reason some don’t return or finish their degree is that they cannot afford it. There are scholarships for many purposes. Check here to see the possibilities.
- Coming soon… so be on the lookout for more details.
- Alumni One-Hour Mentoring Program. We may ask just one hour of your time.
- Attend receptions for prospective students… to help convince “admitted students” to finally choose UIS. For these high school students or transfer students, visiting with alumni can help seal the deal, and these events are fun. We call them “Yield Events.”
- Join an affinity group – or more than one. Details to follow.
Cost = $0. Just a little of your valuable time.
- Alumni in Government
- Alumni in Nonprofits
- Alumni in Business
- Alumni in Chicagoland
- Alumni in Education
- UIS International Alumni.
Also, how to join the University of Illinois Alumni Association (for a $50 gift).