Information for Students
The 45th UIS commencement ceremony will be held on May 14, 2016, at 4 pm, in the Prairie Capital Convention Center in Springfield, Illinois.
Important Information for All Graduates
- Access to Your NetID
Your NetID will remain active for three (3) semesters after graduation. After that time, you will no longer be able to use your NetID to access email, Blackboard, or other campus services such as Box, lynda, Office 365, etc. Please see the User Account Lifecycle for NetIDs policy for more information.
- Ceremony DVD
To purchase a DVD of the ceremony, please complete Graduation Ceremony DVD Request here.
Want to know the proper etiquette for Commencement? Download the guide here. (pdf)
- First Destination Survey (FDS)
The First Destination Survey (FDS) is a national survey that is meant to gain knowledge about what activities students are engaging in after graduation from college. The information gained from the survey helps to determine institution effectiveness and provide data for reporting needs, to enhance UIS academic offerings, and support career exploration for current and future students. Prior to graduation day, you will receive emails with additional information and be asked to complete the Outcomes Survey. By completing the survey, you will qualify to win a variety of prizes including iPads and gift cards. For further information, you may visit the UIS Career Development website.
Professional photography on commencement day will be provided by GradImages. Questions regarding photographs following the ceremony should be addressed directly to GradImages.
- Student Speaker Application Information
The deadline to submit a Student Commencement Speaker Application form for 2016 was Noon on Monday, March 21, 2016. This year’s Student Commencement Speaker is Robyn Nicole Crutchfield.
See the Visitors section of this website for information about special needs, directions, parking, hotels, and restaurants.
How to Participate/
Graduate Salute Days for Purchasing Caps and Gowns
Those planning to participate in the commencement ceremony ARE REQUIRED to complete the following TWO steps:
- Confirm their participation by submitting an online intent to participate. Students can submit their intent via the commencement website between March 7 and March 22. Only those who are eligible will be able to submit their intent to participate. Also, if you are making special cap and gown arrangements (e.g., borrowing a black cap and gown), you MUST still confirm your participation.
- Purchase a cap and gown during the “Graduate Salute” to be held in the UIS Bookstore (located on the first floor of Founders Hall) during the dates listed below.
Students are able to purchase a cap and gown during the Graduate Salute in the UIS Bookstore (located on the first floor of Founders Hall). Peoria students are able to purchase their caps and gowns through the UIS Peoria Center. Graduate Salute days are as follows:
- Thursday, March 24, 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Friday, March 25, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Saturday, March 26, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Starting Your Affordable Legacy
For the sake of those who follow, start your affordable legacy.
- Congratulations on your achievement, and best wishes for the future. As you go forward, please consider helping those who follow with your contributions to the UIS program of your choice. Future graduates will thank you!
- You can find many wonderful giving opportunities available at any level of giving on the Office of Advancement website. Use the “Choose Where to Give” tab at the top to see a list of many opportunities. The UIS Fund, which provides support for programs and students throughout campus, is always an excellent choice.
- You’ll be receiving updates from the Office of Advancement with campus stories of students and special opportunities for giving.
- If you have questions, please feel free to call us at (217) 206-6058.
UIS Ring Program and Tradition
The Official Ring of the University of Illinois at Springfield symbolizes the educational values, heritage, and traditions of the University. The University of Illinois alumni family is united by rich traditions of loyalty, excellence, and service, and we invite you to help carry on this proud legacy through active participation in the UIS Ring Program.
The UIS Ring can be ordered by phone (866/225-3687) or online (www.balfour.com).
Balfour, the Official UIS Ring provider, will have representatives on campus during Graduate Salute to size and order rings in-person.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact Graduation by calling (217) 206-7730 or by emailing email@example.com.