Midterm Formative Assessments & Surveys
This video, created by an instructor at Iowa State, gives a great overview of why instructors might want to include midterm evaluations and what the difference is between formative and summative assessments. Though the video shows a face-to-face course, the idea of communicating with your students, considering options to modify your course, and sharing the results of the assessment with students remains the same.
All About Assessment
- Assessment Basics – Carnegie Mellon University
- Mid-Term Teaching Evaluations – The Chronicle of Higher Education
- CATs: Classroom Assessment Techniques – Iowa State University
- Field-tested Learning Assessment Guide for Science, Math, Engineering and Technology Instructors
Sample Assessments & Questions
- Learning from our Students (PDF) – Carleton Unviersity
- Midterm Evaluations by Suzanne Le-May Sheffield, Dalhousie University, Canada
- UC Berkeley Sample Midterm Evaluations
Tools for Assessment
- TooFAST (Free Assessment Summary Tool) – Free, online, anonymous tool sponsored by several Canadian universities. It contains an enormous database of questions for instructors to choose from, or you may write your own.
- Web Toolbox – University of Illinois system tool for developing surveys. You will have to login in with your UIS email address and NetID password.
- Blackboard Survey Tool – The survey tool within Blackboard shows you which students completed a survey, but results are not associated with specific students.