Important Information about Blackboard Collaborate
- All chats in Collaborate are supervised. Your instructor sees all comments you make to other students through the Private Message feature.
- You must use the latest update of Java version 6. If you’ve upgraded to version 7, Blackboard Collaborate will not load on your computer.
- Do NOT use Google Chrome to access a Blackboard Collaborate session or recording; the session will not load.
First-Time Users: Getting Started
Start by following Steps 1-4 to set up your computer and yourself to use Blackboard Collaborate. You will be walked through:
- Check system requirements
- Configure your system
- Learn how to use Blackboard Collaborate
- View the Support Portal for additional information
Go to the First-Time Users Guide!
Ask Your Instructor
- Ask your instructor if you will need to install any other software to read documents or to access other multi-media components during your Elluminate session.
For instance, you might need:
- Adobe Acrobat Reader to read PDFs
- Adobe Flash Player and to view video and audio
Joining a Blackboard Collaborate Session
- Before joining a Blackboard Collaborate session, have your microphone headset plugged in. It is recommended to use a microphone headset (or at least headphones/earphones or an echo canceling microphone) rather than speakers. This will eliminate potential echoing and feedback and improve your audio experience.
- To log into your Blackboard Collaborate session, click on (or copy and paste) the link to the Elluminate Session provided to you.
- Type in your name and click Log In.
- When the “Opening meeting.jnlp” window appears, click to “Open with Java…” and click OK. Wait for Java to load. (This may take a few minutes so please be patient.)
- When the security message comes up, checkmark “Always trust content from this publisher” and click Run.
- The Blackboard Collaborate loading window will appear. If this is your first time logging into Blackboard Collaborate, you may encounter a connection speed window. Select your current connection speed and click OK.
- Blackboard Collaborate will load and you will be signed in.
- Upon entering your Blackboard Collaborate session, run the Audio Setup Wizard to configure your speakers and/or microphone through either option below:
- You can click on the Audio Setup Wizard button and follow the steps on screen to configure your speakers and/or microphone.
- Or, go to the Tools menu and choose Audio > Audio Setup Wizard and follow the steps on screen to configure your speakers and/or microphone.
If your instructor has recorded Elluminate sessions for student viewing, (s)he will provide a link to the recordings.
Training Materials for Particpants
- Blackboard Collaborate Web Conferencing Essentials for Participants (HTML)
- Blackboard Collaborate Web Conferencing Participant’s Guide (HTML)
- Blackboard Collaborate Getting Started for Participants Quick Reference Guide (PDF)
- Blackboard Collaborate Web Conferencing Participant Orientation (recording)