More Teaching Online with Blackboard
Two or More Sections in One Bb Site | Tutorial or Graduate Project |
Not Listed as Instructor in the Course Schedule | Requesting Bb Course for Other Uses | Copying from Another Instructor
- Go to the Control Panel of your Blackboard Course.
- Click the chevron to extend Customization, click Properties.
- Under option 3 Set Course Availability.
- Select No and click Submit.
The following Announcement is automatically generated within a course when it is created.
This is an automatically generated course site. The faculty member assigned to teach this course may or may not choose to use the site. Also, content within this site may or may not be ready for student use at this time.
Please follow the instructions for the use of this site provided to you by the faculty member teaching this course. For online courses, you should receive communication from the faculty member in the form of a letter and/or email. You should receive this communication just prior to or shortly after the semester starts. For on campus and blended courses, please attend the first class session to obtain faculty instructions.
Should you have questions about the use of this site, please contact the faculty member assigned to this course. If no faculty member is assigned, please contact the department offering the course.
Wishing you much success in your studies at UIS.
Copying your Blackboard site is a two-step process. Copy your Blackboard course materials, and then migrate your eDocs bridge links.
Copying Blackboard Materials
- Go to the GOLD course that contains the items you want to copy.
- Scroll down to Control Panel.
- Click the chevron to expand Packages and Utilities
- Click Course Copy.
- Under Select Copy Type: Choose Copy Course Materials into an Existing Course.
- Click the Browse (opens a new window).
- Click to Select next to the empty course shell (102 prefix).
- Under Select Course Materials, check the boxes for each course area and tool to be copied to the empty course shell.
You must select at least one of the options for the copy process to be completed.
- Check “Adaptive Release” if you have any content with date restrictions (i.e., “Display After” or “Display Until”). If you do not copy adaptive release settings, then items and tests with these properties will not copy properly.
- Do NOT check the box to copy E-Reserves unless you have contacted Brookens Library at 217-206-6633.
- NEVER check the box to copy Enrollments!
This option will place students from previous semesters in your current course. If you accidentally check this option, please contact COLRS at 217-206-7317 or by email.
- Click Submit to send your copy request.
- You will receive an email once the Blackboard server has processed your request. After you receive this email, you can begin editing your course.
If you use eDocs Bridge Links in Blackboard and have copied your course content from a previous course or a gold course, you will need to “migrate” them so that current students will be able to access the content.
- Log in to Blackboard, and enter your course.
- Under Control Panel, click on Course Tools > eDocs Link Migrator.
- Click OK.
- Your links will now work for your new group of students.
- Enrolling two or more course sections in one Blackboard site
If you are teaching two or more sections of the same course and would like both sections enrolled in a single Blackboard course site, please contact COLRS at 206-7317 or by email.
- Teaching a tutorial or graduate project
Blackboard course sites were not automatically created for tutorials or graduate projects. If you would like a Blackboard for one-on-one work with a student, please contact COLRS at 206-7317 or by email.
- Not listed as the instructor in the course schedule
If you are not listed as the instructor of your course section in the course schedule, you will not have access to your Blackboard course site. Please contact your program secretary or online coordinator to be listed as the instructor in the course schedule. If your secretary or coordinator can verify that you will be teaching the section, please have them contact COLRS to enroll you as the instructor.
- Requesting Blackboard course sites for other uses
If you need a site for development, committee work, or other purposes, please contact COLRS at 206-7317 or by email.
- Copying content from another instructor’s course site
If you are a new instructor and need to have materials copied from another instructor’s course site, you will need to have instructor permissions in both sites. Please contact your department chair and/or the previous instructor for permissions. Once you have instructor-level access to the course site, you may copy the materials into your empty Blackboard course site.