2013 University Scholar
Hua Chen, associate professor of Biology at the University of Illinois Springfield, has been named University Scholar for 2013. He was the only UIS faculty member chosen for this award honoring and rewarding outstanding teachers and scholars at the three U of I campuses.
“Dr. Chen is a wonderful example of the teacher-scholar ideal,” said Lynn Pardie, UIS provost and vice chancellor of academic affairs. “His research focuses on ecosystem ecology, restoration ecology, and global change ecology, and he has published extensively in a number of highly regarded journals in his field.”
On behalf of the CLAS Department, Congratulations Dr. Chen! For more information on Dr. Chen, click here.
Past University Scholars
Five major awards are presented to faculty each year to honor their excellence and commitment as teacher-scholars. Here you will find a list of our past University Scholars from the CLAS department.
- Lan Dong– English, 2012
- John Martin– Astronomy/Physics, 2011
- Christopher Mooney– Political Science, 2010
- Sviatoslav Braynov– Computer Science, 2009
- Rosina Neginsky– Women Studies, English, and Liberal Studies, 2008
- Barbara Burkhardt– English, 2007
- Lynn Fisher– Sociology/Anthropology, 2006
- Keenan Dungey– Chemistry, 2005
- Robert McGregor– History, 2003
- Michael Lemke– Biology, 2002
- Keith Miller– Computer Science, 2000
- David Jenkins- Biology, 1998
- Ethan Lewis– English, 1996