Donation from Mallincrodt Pharmaceuticals
Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals, located in Webster Groves, Missouri, has donated a High Performance Liquid Chromatograph (HPLC) to UIS.
An HPLC allows scientists to separate the complex mixtures of compounds to purify, identify and quantify them.
“For example, using size-exclusion chromatography, students will be able to separate proteins in a mixture,” said Dr. Stephen R. Johnson.
“Having an HPLC at UIS will absolutely improve students’ education in any chemistry field,” Dr. Johnson said, “especially in biochemistry and bioanalytical chemistry.” Johnson said students in clinical laboratory science will also learn to use the instrument to help familiarize them with techniques that they will encounter in medical laboratories.
Kelly Pressler, Senior Analytical Chemist at Mallinckrodt, organized the donation to help the next generation of chemists prepare for their careers.
Thank you, Kelly, and thank you as well to your colleagues at Mallinckrodt!
All of these instruments are available for research and classroom use.
- Agilent Cary Eclipse Fluorescence Spectrophotometer
- ThermoScientific Multiskan Go – UV-Visible Microplate Reader
- Buchi Syncore Multievaporator
- RigakuMSC MiniFlex+ Powder X-ray Diffractometer
- Veeco diInnova Scanning Probe Microscope
- Cary 100 Bio UV-Vis Spectrophotometer with Integrating Sphere
- Varian Saturn 2000 GC-MSMS Gas Chromatograph – Mass Spectrometer
- Varian AA240FS Atomic Absorption Spectrometer
- Shimadzu IRAffinity-1 FT-IR Spectrometer
- Anasazi EFT-60 NMR Spectrometer
- Shimadzu GC-17A Gas Chromatograph/FID (2)
- Shimadzu LC-10 with fluorescence detector
- Beckman DU 7400 UV/Visible Spectrophotometer
- Sorvall RC-2B Centrifuge
- Beckman Optima TL Ultracentrifuge
- Eppendorf 5810R Ultracentrifuge
- EG&G Model 384B Polarographic Analyzer
- Virtes Benchtop 3L Freeze Dryer
- YSI Conductivity Apparatus
- A programmable muffle furnace
- A hydraulic press
- Buchi Rotary evaporators (2)
- Handheld UV lamps
- TI Graphing calculators, CBL units, and probes
- Spectrophotometers – Genesys, Spec 70’s & 20’s
- pH Meters
- Analytical Balances
- 14 solid state model kits
- Hitachi S-2150 Scanning Electron Microscope
- Hitachi H-600 Transmission Electron Microscope
- 20 Vernier LabPro and sensors for chemistry,
biology, water quality, nuclear radiation,
- 20 Dell laptops running WindowsXP