Departments Points of Pride
Department of Educational Leadership
Congratulations to Dr. Scott Day, Chair of the Department of Educational Leadership. Dr. Day received the 2013 Abe Lincoln Region Herman Graves Award from the Abe Lincoln Region of the Illinois Principals Association. The Herman Graves Award was established in 1991 to recognize outstanding service to the IPA.
- Swan, K., Matthews, D., Day, S., and Bogle, L. (2014). “A Collaborative, Design-Based Approach to Improving an Online Program”. Internet in Higher Education.
- Swan, K., Day, S., Bogle, L., & Van Prooyen, T. (2014). “Pedagogical Approaches to MOOC’s. eMentor. Warsaw School of Economics, Center for Development of Distance and Permanent Education; Warsaw, Poland. http://www.e-mentor.edu.pl/artykul/index/numer/54/id/1098
- Picciano, A., Seaman, J. & Day, S. (In Press). “Online Learning in Illinois High Schools: The Voices of Principals!,”. In Heafner, T., Petty, T., & Hartshorne, R. (Eds.), “Exploring the Effectiveness of Online Education in K-12 Environments”. IGI Global, Hershey, PA
- Swan, K., Bogle, L., Day, S., & Matthews, D. (2014). Assessing Massive Open Online Course Pedagogy. American Education Research Association (AERA) Conference; Philadelphia, PA.
- Abler, W. & Day, S. (2014). Innovative Approaches to Graduate Assessment. Annual Meeting of the Midwestern Association of Graduate Schools, Chicago
- Swan, K., Day, S., Bogle, L., & Van Prooyen, T. (2014). Assessing MOOC Pedagogies. EdMedia World Conference on Educational Media & Technology. Tampere, Finland.
UIS Co-Principal Investigator (K. Swan), ACE/Gates Foundation, “MOOCs as Game Changers,” $143,000.00, 2013.
UIS Principal Investigator (K. Swan), WCET/Gates Foundation, “Predictive Analytics Reporting (PAR),” $50,000.00, 2011; $100,000.00, 2013-14..
Lead Advisor (K. Swan), Teaching Online program, Epigeum, London, England.
Human Development Counseling Faculty Training, Publications and Presentations
- Dr. James Klein is the School Counseling Area Coordinator and Admissions Coordinator for the Department of Human Development Counseling. During the past year, he has delivered four presentations at three professional counseling conferences within the state of Illinois. He was also an invited speaker at the Annual Educational Conference for the Township Officials of Illinois and the Social-Emotional Learning Retreat for Jacksonville High School. In addition, Dr. Klein has a co-authored manuscript under review by the Journal of Counseling in Illinois addressing the role of the school counselor in guiding students toward educational and career path opportunities.
- Ms. Karen Lee is a Visiting Clinical Instructor for the Department of Human Development Counseling. She served as a co-presenter at the Annual Meeting of the Association for Academic Psychiatry in Nashville in the fall of 2012. She also received a grant through the SIU/SOM Memory and Aging Clinical Alzheimer’s Support program in conjunction with the Prairie Art Alliance to pilot an art therapy group with early stage Alzheimer’s patients and their caregivers. Dr. Nithya Karuppaswamy and four HDC Marital, Couple and Family Counseling internship students served as co-facilitators for this extraordinarily powerful and impactful group experience.
- Dr. Ann McCaughan is a Co-Coordinator for the Community Counseling/Clinical Mental Health Counseling Area of Study and Faculty Advisor for Sigma Sigma Upsilon, the Department’s chapter of the international counseling honor society, Chi Sigma Iota. Dr. McCaughan delivered two professional presentations at the Western Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (WACES) conference; a presentation at the North Central Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (NCACES) Conference; and a presentation at the Association of Illinois Townships Council on Youth (AITCOY) Annual Conference. In addition, she has co-authored an article published in the Practitioner-Scholar: Professional Journal of Counseling and Professional Psychology.
- Dr. Holly Thompson is a Co-Coordinator for the Community Counseling/Clinical Mental Health Counseling Area of Study as well as the Coordinator for Department’s Comprehensive Examination protocol. Through a summer 2012 scholarly research grant, Dr. Thompson was able to attend a week-long workshop with the critically acclaimed vocalist, conductor, and artist, Bobby McFerrin. As an extension of this experience, Dr. Thompson is working on a manuscript exploring the ways in which improvisation can be used in teaching counseling skills. Dr. Thompson also continues to serve as an editorial member for the Journal of International Counseling and Education.
- Dr. Bill Abler is the Coordinator for the Marital, Couple and Family Counseling (MCFC) area of study, Director of the Department’s Counseling and Therapy Training Center (CTTC), and Department Chair. Dr. Abler completed the HDC Academic Program Review document and successfully shepherded it through the requisite approvals process within the University system. Dr. Abler also prepared and submitted an Interim Report to the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) and submitted a completed book-length manuscript (Goodbye Dad: Reflections of a Middle-Aged Son on the Death of His Father) to multiple prospective publishers for publication consideration.
Human Services Faculty Training, Publications, and Presentations
- Dr. Carolyn Peck has been appointed by the Director of the Illinois Department on Aging to serve a three-year term (2014-2017) on the Illinois Long Term Care Council. The focus of this state-based council is to improve the quality of life for residents in the continuum of long term care in Illinois.
- Dr. Denise Sommers presented “Developing Multicultural Counseling Competencies by Using Service Learning.” at the National Association of Multicultural Rehabilitation Concerns Annual Conference in St. Louis, MO, July 24-26, 2014.
- Dr. Ann Melvin – Oral presentation, “Medication Assisted Treatment for Opiate Addiction: Knowledge and Attitudes among Substance Abuse Counselors.” at the 3rd Annual International Addiction Research & Therapy Conference, Chicago, August 4-6, 2014.
- Dr. Ann Melvin – Poster presentation, “An Association between Meth Use and Symptoms of Depression…” at the 2014 National Organization for Human Services (NOHS) Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, October 22-25, 2014.
Social Work Faculty Training, Publications, and Presentations
- Dr. Kay Young McChesney, Assistant Professor of Social Work, accompanied by two undergraduate students, attended the International Consortium for Social Development meetings, July 15-19, 2013, in Kampala, Uganda. Dr. McChesney presented a paper, “Successful Approaches to Ending Female Genital Cutting: Changing Social Norms One Village at a Time.” Connie Harter, a Social
Work major, did service learning in an AIDS Hospice, and Roni Harter, a Global Studies major, completed a home stay in a remote rural village to study subsistence agriculture.
- Dr. David Stoesz, Guest Columnist, Springfield State Journal Register, “Illinois Should Prepare to Reinvest in Human Services.” Read More.
Department of Teacher Education
- Dr. Brian Kahn – Summer Library Faculty Associate Program (Inaugural year) – 2014- Information Literacy Project for Middle Level Methods Course (University of Illinois Springfield)
- Dr. Brian Kahn – Teaching the Teachers: An Integrative Approach to Social Studies Methods (National Council for the Social Studies, Annual Conference, Boston, November 2014).
- Dr. Brian Kahn – Teaching the Teachers: A Blended Approach to Interdisciplinary Social Studies Methods Instruction (Sloan-C Blended Conference, Denver, July 2014).