UIS Programs: Ancient Peru
UNI 460 – ECCE: Spanish Language Immersion and
Latin-American Cultures –Ancient Perú Study Abroad
June 2012 (dates to be determined – between June 6 to June 26) (17 days) – (12 STUDENTS + 1 INSTRUCTOR)
PROGRAM FEE (exclusive of UIS tuition and university fees): approximately $2500 depending upon the final number of participants. Fee includes international airfare from St. Louis or Chicago, internal travel in Peru, excursions, most meals, lodging, Spanish language classes and special lectures. The UIS International Program Office offers limited and competitive scholarships.
Base Amauta International School Program Includes:
- Round-trip Flight Lima -Cusco
- 2 nights in Students residence in Cusco
- 6 overnight stays with host family housing in Cusco
- 4 nights in Taray School –the Sacred Valley of the Incas
- 2 nights on Excursions (Machu Pichu and Titicaca)
- Two meals per day & three per day when staying with host families
- 28 hours of Spanish immersion
- 8 sightseeing cultural and historic tours led by licensed local guides –in Spanish
- 10 visits to academic/learning sites
- 5 walking tours: Cusco, Machu Pichu, Ollantaytambo, Pisac, Puno/Titicaca
Highlights –Culture, History, Archeology
- Excursion to Tipon
- Excursion to the Huari archelogical site of Pikillacta
- Visit and 2 day excursion to Machu Pichu
- Stay in Aguas Calientes
- Visit and 2 day excursion to Lake Titicaca -Excursion to the Floating Island of UROS
- Stay on Amantani Island
- Visit to farmers, craft, artisans, and textile markets
Experiential learning: Students Living, Learning, and Doing ***
- Visit to an Orphanage or another Not for Profit Organization in Cusco
- Excursion to the village and ruins of Ollantaytambo & Pisac
- Excursion to the Salt Mines of Maras
- Excursion to the Sacred Valley of the Incas
- Visit to Alpaca Farm
- Visit to Textile Factory
- Haciendo música y tocando instrumentos Quechuas
- Bailando Salsa
- Cocinando Comida Peruana
- Aprendiendo Literatura y Drama Inca
*** Students who place at the intermediate level and have more advanced conversational or communication skills (oral/written) may be offered the opportunity to do an internship for a week. Students will work as interns in nonprofit organizations related to their major/work aspirations.
Please remember, in order to apply for our study abroad you need to:
· Fill out an application for the Global Experience Program. This can be done on line at http://www.uis.edu/cas/internationalprograms/globalexperience/index.html (after you apply, you receive a Payment Plan Form, Signature Form and Risk Acknowledgement Form)
· Provide an initial deposit of $100 –deadline is the end of February.
· Apply for the Travel Scholarship Fund through Financial Aid, for awards of up to $1,000, deadline, Feb. 15th
· Pay at least half of the amount by the end of March to UIS, to reserve our program and accommodations with our Peruvian Spanish School.
· Provide a final Payment a month later.
· Apply to obtain a Passport at least by the end of March 2010, beginning of January.
Seminar Director is Verónica Espina
Phone # (217) 206-6322
Class Number and Catalogue Description:
|UNI 460- ECCE: Spanish Language Immersion and Latinoamerican Cultures|
|Students will travel to a Spanish-speaking country to exercise Spanish conversational skills at an immersion level, as well as, learn about local history and increase their cultural, international, and regional awareness. Using Blackboard, students will also complete readings and written work in Spanish, prior and post traveling abroad. Course Information: This course fulfills an Engaged Citizenship Common Experience requirement at UIS in the areas of ECCE: Global Awareness or ECCE Engagement -4.000 Credit HoursLevels: Undergrad – Springfield -Schedule Types: Lecture-Discussion
Course Attributes: UIS: Engagement (ECCE), UIS: Global Awareness (ECCE)