Beyond the Classroom is an exciting new program created by the UIS Career Development Center. Beyond the Classroom connects UIS students with Alumni and Employers in real-world career settings. Through job shadowing, informational interviewing, internships/externships, and career immersions, students receive glimpses into their future career paths, experience to include on their resume, and unique networking opportunities! Students will work with their assigned career counselor, who will serve as a resource to guide them, with the goal of the student independently creating his/her own Beyond the Classroom experiences in the future!
How Family Members Can Participate:
- Encourage your student to participate in the Beyond the Classroom Program and to seek out networking experiences on his/her own!
- Host job shadowing experiences for other UIS students interested in your career path and industry! (Typically, a job shadowing experience lasts one full day (8:30-5:00) but can range depending on the flexibility of the host employer and the student).
- Allow students to ask you questions about your employer and career path through informational interviewing! (An informational interview is typically a one-time experience, lasting around an hour).
- Host UIS students as interns/externs within your organization!
- Host a Career Immersion at your organization to get your employees and UIS students engaged with one another through networking!
Benefits for Family Members:
- Serve as a career resource contact for students such as your own!
- Give back to the University!
- Interact and network with exceptional UIS students!
- Build relationships with UIS students prior to graduation!
Interested in the Beyond the Classroom Program?
Here’s how to get started:
Register and/or log in to UIS CareerConnect today as an Employer and fill out the Professional Network Profile under the Account tab!
Please contact the UIS Career Development Center by e-mail at email@example.com or call (217)206-6508!
Are you interested in recruiting UIS Students and Alumni for other career opportunities?
- Visit our employer page
- Contact the Employer Relations Recruitment Coordinator at EmployerRelations@uis.edu or call (217)206-6500!