Fall 2011 Wednesday Webinar Series
Returning to the Career Development Center for the third time,the Wednesday Webinar series addresses topics for the graduate, the soon to graduate, and everyone who plans to look for a job or plan for a career. Hear from top authors about how to use social networking to you hired. Find the career that’s right for you. Build connections and a career network now to get a job later.
Each Wednesday Webinar session is hosted in the Career Development Center on the UIS Campus. You’ll find us in SAB50. Webinars run from 2pm – 3pm and will be followed by a question and answer session facilitated by a CDC staff member.
If you’re an online student or unable to make the session, register for the to the Online Option within CareerConnect . Within a week of the original air date, we’ll send you a link to the recorded session.
Now What? How to Choose the Right Career
- Are you looking for a career that:
- You look forward to going to work most of the time
- You are extremely successful and productive because you are doing what comes naturally to you
- Your work is a natural expression of your talents and personality, so you fit with your work like a duck fits in a pond
- A day on the job leaves you feeling energized, not burned out
- You are proud of what you do
- Work often feels more like play
7 Mistakes Job Seekers Make Online (Social Networking and Your Job Search)
Social Media Job Search Expert Joshua Waldman will share a humorous odyssey of each of the 7 follies of job searching in these new media, correcting each one as we go. Even professional recruiters walk away from this session with pages of notes! These 7 tips will help job seekers network more professionally, develop strong personal brands and find their ideal careers fast.
In this session we’ll answer the following questions:
- Why should I even bother using social media for anything other than chatting with old high-school buds?
- This stuff changes so fast, how can I possibly stay on top of it all?
- How can I truly leverage my network to find work fast?
5 Steps to Build Your Personal Brand
Mastering the art of personal branding means that you are sending the right messages,networking with the right career influencers, and successfully driving the perceptions of clients, managers, and potential employers.
- Leverage your passions, strengths, talents, and accomplishments to transition into a career that gives you meaning, purpose and inspires you.
- Strengthen your credibility and build visibility with people who can promote you, hire you, and introduce you to others who could potentially hire you.
- Stretch yourself, flex your professional muscles, and break through roadblocks to help you move your career up to the next level.
Career Blind Spots: Survive in a post recession climate
This session will offer guidance to graduating students on how to survive and thrive in a post-recessionary business climate that eschews controversy, office politics, and quick promotions and is returning to an emphasis on traditional workplace values like trust and direct communication.
By the end of this webinar, students will have an understanding of how to:
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic
- Obtain positive visibility in their jobs
- Be strong representatives of their organizationâ€™s culture.
Be Exceptional – Lead!
The ability of a great leader is always in high demand. There is a set of universal principles that many leaders and entrepreneurs follow. Anyone who uses these principles will greatly enhance their ability to succeed.
Take a peak inside the minds of some of the greatest entrepreneurs and leaders of all time.
- Increase your earning potential.
- Maximize your time and resources.
- Be a more influential individual.
- Become more self-motivated.
- Increase the number opportunities that come your way.
- Master your emotions in the heat of the moment.
- Use the #1 skill for dealing with adversity.
- Do what you love to do and get paid for it!
Ace Your Job Interview
Our research has shown it takes 16 Interviews to get an offer, and the offer might not be for the job you really want! So when you get the interview – congratulations! But now the real work starts. You need to invest a good deal of time in planning for your resume.
By attending this Webinar you will learn:
- Why job interviews are broken
- How to use basic sales skills in your interview
- How to build a strategy around your upcoming interview
- Techniques to link your background and experience to critical job requirements
- How to tell stories about your work and college experience to prove you can do a job
- What questions YOU should ask to show your interest and preparedness
Pick a Career Path & Job You’ll Love
Finding a new job or a new career has never been more challenging. And in an uncertain world, the tools to manage job and career change over the fifty year span of your career, are the most valuable skills you will every develop.
It may take years for you to decide whether your career choice has turned out to be a wise one. But your chances of satisfaction are better if you make the choice wisely. That means basing the choiceâ€”and the planning that followsâ€”on good career information. This is important whether you’re a person just starting out, a person contemplating a midlife career change,or an older person planning for work in retirement.
Guerilla Marketing to Get Hired
Job hunting has changed!
Today you have to be a marketer, branding expert, networker, and know how to use Social Media to integrate social media and social networking tools like Facebook, Twitter,LinkedIn, and ZoomInfo in your job search.
Get a LinkedIn Makeover
Your LinkedIn Summary isn’t the place to bore your reader to death! This is where you want to DELIVER VALUE and SELL YOURSELF! You wouldnâ€™t go to a job interview or a prospective client meeting half dressedâ€¦ so why is your LinkedIn profile not even half finished?
- A profile that will get you hired.
- A profile that will get you noticed.
- A profile that will show off your strengths and personality!