Gabrielle Little from Aurora, IL served as the marshal for the BBA Program at the 45th UIS commencement ceremony held Saturday, May 14. Each year the program has the privilege of selecting one undergraduate to lead the program’s graduates in the commencement ceremony. This person represents the highest academic, professional and personal accomplishments expected by the faculty in the program. Congratulations to Gabrielle!
Beta Gamma Sigma is the international honor society serving business programs accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International). Membership in Beta Gamma Sigma is the highest recognition a business student anywhere in the world can receive in a business program accredited by AACSB International. The society grants admission to the top 10 percent of the baccalaureate class and the top 20 percent of graduate students.
The University of Illinois Springfield Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society chapter inducted twenty-three new members from the College of Business and Management during the induction ceremony on April 23, 2016 in Brookens Auditorium. A total of 47 new members were included into the new membership for 2016.
Dr. Lynn Pardie, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Provost at UIS, was inducted as an honorary member.
The College of Business and Management congratulates the following BBA students for achieving Dean’s List status.
- FALL 2015 Caitlin McCormick, Turner Clark, Bruce Shelton, Eric Lund, Richard Combs, Jacob Cisco, Denise Lee, Noah Emerick, Claire Schaible, Samantha Boettjer, Kelsey Graham, Nhan Le, Madison Shane, Lesley Reynolds, Richard Burton, Ralph Reyes, Dao Vo, John Morgenthaler, Rene Corso, Collin Anderson, Gretchen Bernardini, Yvette Cuellar, Blair Larson, Michael Norwood, Karly Keller, Dinh Nguyen, Amanda Sherwood, Lan Pham, Sean Courty, Laura McInerney, Meredith Marti, Brian Brackney, Grant Gruen, Alexander Harvatin, Camille Niccum, Luis Benitez, Sarah Rowlands, Colleen McMahon, Shanna Doggett, Nicole Madoch, Scott Pinkerton, Anabel McFarlin, Regina Bolin, Ge Liu, and Daniel Pacha.
- SPRING 2016 Collin Anderson, Maria Arreguin, Luis Benitez, Regina Bolin, Richard Burton, Jacob Cisco, Turner Clark, Sam Clarke, Sean Courty, Yvette Cuellar, Taylor David, Leon Dingbaum, Anh Do, Shanna Doggett, Noah Emerick, Trevor Flota, Nathan Goecks, Kelsey Greene, Grant Gruen, Aubrey Johnson, Thomas Johnson, Caleb Jones, Tabitha Kennedy, Mike Kirchgesner, Wesley Koral, Blair Larson, Nhan Le, Ge Liu, Stephanie Ludwig, Eric Lund, Caitlin McCormick, Laura McInerney, Colleen McMahon, Kaylan Mills, Zemfira Mitchell John Morgenthaler, Kiet Nguyen, Thi Nguyen, Camille Niccum, Ahsan Owais, Daniel Pacha, Tatianna Reyes, Lesley Reynolds, Sarah Rowlands, Cheyenne Sapp, Madison Shane, Renee Waller, Mackenzie Westlake, and Chelsey Witkowiak.
- The Fox Award targets exemplary College of Business and Management undergraduate students who successfully complete internships with a Springfield nonprofit organization. Each year Wayne and Margie Fox make a generous $2500 award to the university with the intent to honor two students. Jill Gossett of Springfield and John Howard of Peoria earned the award for 2014.
- John Howard, a recent BBA graduate, interned with the Springfield Community Federation, a non-profit which strives to improve the lives and life outcomes of disadvantaged single adults, families, and children in central Illinois. The primary mission of SCF is to promote community strategies that strengthen family support networks and alleviate poverty for vulnerable children and families. The Federation acts as a clearinghouse for community collaboration including programs offering education and networking for community support providers, referral services for food and basic family needs, and child & family wellness outreach.
- Jill Gossett, a Summer 2013 BBA graduate, completed her internship at District 23 Mercantile & Foundry, a store benefiting the Cochlear Implant Awareness Foundation (CIAF). The foundation was started in 2006 by Michelle Tjelmeland, herself deaf since the age of 25 and the mother of a daughter who is also deaf. Both are able to hear today because of cochlear implant technology. CIAF has provided help and recycled implant parts to more than 500 families in their search to find information and resources about the surgery. After the success of the foundation, the retail store was the next step to help support the foundation and was opened on Macarthur Boulevard.The main focus of Jill’s internship at District 23 Mercantile & Foundry encompassed the buying and merchandising part of the retail business. Jill said that she learned so much and enjoyed the experience immensely: ” I will definitely continue to volunteer at District 23. It is a great store, great people, and it supports a great cause. I am grateful for the opportunity to have worked with them.” Read more about Jill’s internship
- Jill Harbison and Sinen Aydin, both BBA students, received the 2012 Wayne and Margie Fox award.Business administration student Jill Harbison was awarded for her work with the Girl Scouts of Central Illinois. Jill assisted with development and facilitation of events, assisted with developing and maintaining outreach with churches and schools, cultural groups, and service and professional organizations to enhance visibility, fund raising, membership and program options for GSCI. She also maintained proper records and reports. She participated in direct service to girls in a variety of in-school tutoring and scouting projects as well as presentations to develop troop membership. GSCI is comprised of 7 service centers across 38 counties. It serves 20,000 girls and 5000 adult members annually. Jill completed her undergraduate degree in May and is now a graduate student in the Public Administration program as well as a Graduate Public Service Intern with the Illinois Department of Healthcare & Family Services.
- Business administration student Sinem Aydin was also awarded for her work for the Old State Capitol Historic site. She reconstructed its Facebook page and website especially implementing ways to make the site appealing to all cultures. She assisted in organizing and reviewing the annual report, created a survey for local businesses to analyze results of tourist activity, recruited volunteers, and assisted with summer event planning. Sinem anticipates completing her degree in May 2013.
- Wayne and Margie Fox were both reared and educated in central Illinois. Wayne graduated from Ball Township High School in Chatham with Margie graduating from Springfield High School. Wayne continued to further his education with an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering, and a Master in Business Administration from Sangamon State University (now UIS). Wayne started his career with the Illinois Commerce Commission, and recently retired as president of an out of state Fortune 500 gas and electric utility. During this time, Margie stoked the home fires and served as Wayne’s advisor and best friend, and mom to their only child, Justin, now married and living in the Minneapolis, Minnesota, area. Throughout their adult lives, Margie and Wayne have freely given of their time and resources to make their communities a better place in which to live and work. With this award, the University will be able to recognize those students who choose to give of their talent, time and acquired skills to serve the good of the community without expectation of monetary compensation. The Foxes hope to encourage and further that expressed sense of volunteerism on the part of the award recipient, into a lifelong practice. Wayne and Margie now make their home on Lake Tellico, near Knoxville, Tennessee.
- Anna May and Charles C. Smith Scholarship: Samantha M Boettjer
- Michael and Barbara Schwartz Scholarship: Christian M Brown
- UIS Transfer Scholarship: Blake E Burton
- Ron Gibbs Athletic Scholarship in Memory of Ronald and Josephine Gibbs: Trevor Ryan Flota
- Brad and Jennifer Ward Scholarship: Kylah S Foster-Griffin
- Kent Weber Scholarship: Arranda M Gardner
- Eugene R. and Elaine A. Wilkinson Scholarship: Arranda M Gardner
- Northwestern Mutual, D. Patrick Scheina Scholarship: Kylie J Gilmore
- Camerata Music Scholarship: Kylie J Gilmore
- Sikich LLP Accountancy Scholarship: Anais Gonzalez
- Unes Family Scholarship: Christopher Irwin
- Mallory Pate Memorial Scholarship: Eileen Anne Kenny
- Martha Schiebel Harrison Scholarship: Mason A Kling
- James F. Lundquist Memorial Scholarship: Abigail Katherine Lawley
- Illinois Association of Realtors and the Real Estate Education Foundation: Abigail Katherine Lawley
- Richard and Charlene Osborne Access Illinois Scholarship: Abigail Katherine Lawley
- Lorber Family Scholarship: Nicole Christine Madoch
- UIS Naomi and Robert Lynn Distinguished Capital Scholarship: Colleen M McMahon
- Paul M. Snodgrass Memorial Scholarship: Kaylan Mills
- Robert and Patricia W. Felker Scholarship: Kaylan Mills
- Central Illinois Typographical Union Scholarship: Ahsan Owais
- Marine Bank Scholarship in Business Administration: Ahsan Owais
- Paul O’Shea Athletic Scholarship: Michael A Rothmund
- Gilbert L. and Frances G. Stein Scholarship: Kristen Nicole Shaffer
- Marine Bank Scholarship in Business Administration: Kristen Nicole Shaffer
- Richard and Charlene Osborne Access Illinois Scholarship: Cassandra L Wolfe
- Staley Family Athletic Scholarship: Cassandra L Wolfe